• Salesforce.com is a global enterprise software.
• It is best known for its customer relationship management (CRM)
• SalesForce.com’s CRM solution is broken down into several broad
– Sales Cloud.
– Service Cloud.
– Data Cloud.
– Collaboration Cloud.
– Custom Cloud (including Force.com).
Introduction to the Project
• The project mainly deals with providing web services using
• Creating an account with SalesForce.com.
• SalesForce.com let’s us create our own tabs with our own specifications.
• It lets us create a webpage and then link it to the database.
• The webpage’s are created using APEX.
Virtual Force in Action
• The Front end technologies that were used to create the webpage and the
web services are as follows:
• The backend is done by linking the webpage to the database.
• This helps in storing the data such as login names, email id’s of
users, password generator, security questions etc.,
Introduction to APEX
• Force.com Apex Code is a strongly-typed programming language that
executes on the Force.com platform.
• Apex is used to add business logic to applications, to write database
triggers, and to program controllers in the user interface layer.
• It has the usual array of features such as
classes, interfaces, constants, class variables, and annotations.
Unusually, Apex is not case sensitive.
• Apex supports a number of different data types:
– primitive data types such as Integer and Date
– sObject types that represent persistent objects
– collections and enumerations
– user and system-defined Apex classes
• The primitive data types include:
– Blob - for storing binary data
– Date, Time and Datetime
– Decimal - for representing arbitrary precession numbers, including currency
– ID - the Force.com database record identifier type
• Visual force.
• There is also another way of creating a website and linking it to the
• Creating a website can be done by using SalesForce.com’s Site.com and
then linking it to the SalesForce.com’s Database.com but the drawback is
that this could happen only if we registered for a premium membership and
would not work with the trial version.
• Salesforce.com provides programmatic access to the organization’s
information using simple, powerful, and secure application programming
• The Salesforce prebuilt applications provide powerful CRM functionality.
In addition, Salesforce provides the ability to customize the prebuilt
applications to fit the organization.
• However, the organization may have complex business processes that are
unsupported by the existing functionality.
• When this is the case, the Force.com platform includes a number of ways
for advanced administrators and developers to implement custom
• The custom functionality includes the Web
services API, Apex, and Visualforce.
Registering a Domain name
Creating a Site
Assigning a VirtualForce Page
URL Paths and Sites
• A site consists of 3 components:
– The Force.com domain name that uniquely identifies your specific organization
– The path identifies the specific site (case sensitive)
– A Visualforce page that is associated with your site (case insensitive)
• Each of these paths will have a unique path in the site URL to differentiate
one site from another.