Venture funding in Digital startups is growinghttp://www.slideshare.net/RockHealth/2013-midyear-digital-health-funding-by-rockhealth-23728823?ref=http://rockhealth.com/2013/07/2013-midyear-digital-health-funding-update/https://www.pwcmoneytree.com/MTPublic/ns/nav.jsp?page=industry
The healthcare landscape is very complicated and often times very disjointed. Silos are characteristic of data in the HealthCare Ecosystem. When you get sick you go your family Physician who (if at all) stores data for your visit in a local electronic medical record system. Your prescriptions get filled by a prescriptions network and Labs by the Lab network, which have their own interchange protocols and data standards. The payers or Health Plans pay for you visit using their own Electronic data interchange based standards. There are consumer service like WebMD which you use to get information from. And then there are the big Enterprise Hospitals which have a set of Silos themselves!
Cover data science for Patients (Quantified Self) : Doctors : Lab ReportsPayers (Community) : Flu TrendsData Sourceshttp://www.healthdataconsortium.org/data-sources
Create a patient-friendly, easy to read and understand EOBDevelop supporting information visualizations to understand coverage and financial amountsVisual guide to managing financial health data and monitor expenditures
Interesting problems- How should data be viewed by physicians or medical professionals.
1. Health 2.0 – Code-a-thon
CONCOCTING THE ALLURING ELIXIR
2. THE ALLURING ELIXIR
3. DIGITAL HEALTH FUNDING
Over the past two years, there has been
overall YoY funding growth of over
23% and deal growth of over
Source: PwC Money Tree & Rock Health
For first half of 2013 digital health
funding growth is over 12%
leading traditional healthcare but
Bio Tech All Sectors
2013 vs. 2012
4. DISRUPTORS DIGITAL HEALTH
Drivers & Disruptors
5. MODERN HEALTHCARE IS EPISODIC
6. Data Islands
7. PAPER FACTS
It costs nearly $250 BILLION to process
30 BILLION healthcare transactions each year
86% of mistakes made in the healthcare industry are administrative
Organizations, on average, make 19 COPIES of each
document, spend $20 in labor to file each document and lose one of every 20
8. SECURE INTERNET-BASED DIRECT COMMUNICATION
• SIMPLE. Connects healthcare stakeholders through universal addressing using simple push of information.
• SECURE. Users can easily verify messages are complete and not tampered with in travel.
• SCALABLE. Enables Internet scale with no need for central network authority or multiple implementations.
• STANDARDS-BASED. Built on common Internet standards for secure e-mail communication.
Direct Project specifies a
simple, secure, scalable, standards-based
way for participants to send encrypted
health information directly to
known, trusted recipients over the Internet.
Power of sharing
10. SOLVING DATA LIQUIDITY AND SHARING WITH BLUE BUTTON+
11. PERSONAL DATA SCIENCE
12. COMMUNITY DATA SCIENCE
13. REDESIGNING BLOOD TEST RESULTS
14. HEALTH DESIGN CHALLENGE
15. CODE-A-THON TRACK 2
16. EOB Design Challenge!
• Create a patient-friendly, easy to read and
understand Explanation of Benefit
– Develop supporting information visualizations
to understand coverage and financial amounts
– Visual guide to managing financial health data
and monitor expenditures.
18. Potential Use Cases
• Design for any of the following use cases:
– Switching plans / jobs
– Incorrect codes
– Unnecessary procedures or invalid diagnoses
– Billing inconsistencies
– Coinsurance calculations
– Identity theft
– Tax preparation
19. How to win
• Deliverables – http://bit.ly/SFcodo
• Judging: (Out of 100 + 25 bonus)
– Completeness (25)
– Design for Delight (25)
– Ease of use (25)
– Use Case Driven (25)
– Bonus (25)
• Track Winner
– 1st 2 K
– 2nd 1.5 K
– 3rd 1 K
• Overall Winner
– + 1K, main stage presentation at Health 2.0 Fall
Conference and more..
21. WELCOME TO HEALTH 2.0 CODE-A-THON!
DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT MANAGEMENT, OPTUM
AUTHOR, O’REILLY MEDIA
TWITTER – @vaibhavb
E-MAIL – email@example.com
BLOG – http://healthblog.vitraag.com
ME – http://about.me/vaibhavb