1. Social Media Vania Benavides, WebWorx Social Media Instructor
2. Social Media BasicsSocial media is not a one-way communication:● Connect with your customers● Find out more about your customers and their needs● Monitor networks for questions – don’t just automatically feed status updates on networks● Build connections, then ○ Take the conversation further -- i.e.: Visit other’s blogs or invite them to your blog ○ Offer unique opportunities and content on social networks ○ Don’t just focus on status updates, focus on delivering value
3. Social media and MarketingThink of social media as an extension of your current marketing plan--Ittakes into account demographics, target market, message delivery,return on investment, etc.Social Media is a time investment● Time you’re active on social networks● Time to set up blogs or action plans to drive traffic from social networks to your websiteThe returns are trackable via website statistics, i.e.:● Visitor Loyalty: direct or bookmarked site visits (as opposed to visits from search engines or ads)● Subscriptions Initiated: email, print, and mobile signups● Content Shares: pages, stories, videos shared to social networks or emailed
4. Social Media StrategyWhat do you need to think about when coming up with astrategy● Think about your goals● Pick out your target market● Think about how you want to share your objectives- images, blogs, video● Pick a few channels (social networks of delivery)● Engage with your audience ○ Ask questions ○ Start discussions ○ Encourage Feedback ○ Get others to promote you - Please retweet, share with your friend list, repin, etc.
5. Networks for your businessTwitter – for connecting directly to people that may beinterested in your brand by “following” "mentioning" andjoining in on #discussions with themGoogle Plus – allows you to share and view content; bettersearch than facebook,● Google cant bring up data from facebook, so it will use data from its social network to bring up relevant results in search enginesFacebook: use Facebook Page as to connect to otherpages
6. Set up a twitter profile● Select a name● Add your picture● activate your account via email● set up a background● follow people of interest or similar to you● Start by adding a status update:Then press the Tweet button->
7. Twitter Basics continued@mentions: when you choose a username, people cancontact you by appending the "@" to your username, so theway to contact vabmedia in a tweet, is to create a statusupdate with @vabmedia and add your 140 charactermessage to me● "Mentioning someone in a status update, means all your followers will see the message, but the person you mentioned may see it via email if they signed up for email notifications, or theyll get a text if they signed up for text notifications via twitter● If you want to send a direct message to another twitter user, you would not use @twitterusername, you would leave out the "@" ○ you can only send direct messages to people following you ○ you can send a direct message by adding the following to your tweet: "dm username rest of 140 character message"
8. Direct messages on twitter● You can set up auto direct messages to anyone that follows you, so if @xyzuser follows you they will automatically get a direct message, this option is only available through third party applications like Socialoomph● an example of a direct message, "hi thanks for following, visit our website for more info (website link)● The other way to send a direct message is to click on a persons profile in the newsfeed, and click on the button with the head- shadow image, then click -send a direct messsage
9. Twitter Basics● Share links● Follow industry leaders - spying & to get ideas ○ Klout● Follow your target market ○ Use searches to help you● Tweet often, the more you tweet the more you get: ○ Followers ○ Clicks to your content ○ Re-tweets of your content
10. Engage on TwitterWhen you see someone that has many followers and has similarinterests TALK TO THEM HOW?● Use ‘@twitterusername’ when you want to get someone’s attention, i.e.:● @tuser How are you?● @tuser We share the same interests● @tuser What’s your advice for…● @tuser I like your blog…good content, great tips... ..I think you’d like my blog….let’s connectThis will work better if you have someone mention you that has morefollowers than you
11. Twitter continued- ‘mentions’One of the best ways of getting many followers at once is to getthat person that you sent the “@tuser comment” to respond withyour twitter username● Their followers will want to know who you are and if you’re of interest, they will followThe second best way to get followers is to follow people● The more people you follow, the more followers you have● Similarly, the more tweets you send out, the more followers you can gain● See who has mentioned you by clicking on the @connect tab at the top of the twitter dashboard (middle link @connect)● Look at the descriptions on their profiles and see if their interests match your target market
12. Twitter DiscussionsHashtags● ‘#discussion topic’● Search for a keyword to see what people are already talking about “#discussing” - you can do this through twitters own search area● Use discussions as a way of using keywordsOn your next tweet, use ‘#discussion topic’ in yourtweet to make your tweet visible to those outside yourfollower listFinally, Use Twitter for PR and Link Building● Connect with Bloggers that allow you to guest post
13. Facebook -Use Page As "fbpagename"If you are a business to business or you are looking for acomplementary business that you would like to form acollaborative relationship with: Use Facebook Page As:● click on the arrown next to your profile image at the top right of fb dashboard● Click the page you are an admin of, to use fb as, see image below:
14. Google +Joining is easy if you have a gmail account● Create a google + account● Fill in your profile -> about, add photos, add links● Search for people that may already be on google + through your network ○ Create circles, then drag your friend/acquaintance to that circle (drag and drop their face to a Circle)● Add searches and see what others on the web are blogging about - related to your business● Add a link to your website under job/work/occupation● If youre a solopreneur, here is a place for you to add your profile● Add photos that are professional and representative of your business and yourself
15. Google + NetworkingJust as you would do on twitter, or any othersocial network, you must: JOIN THE CONVERSATIONIn Google + "like" = "+1"So, hit that +1 button, share with your circles,and post up as many links as possible to drivetraffic back to your website.
16. Twitter, Google +, Facebook RecapJOIN THE CONVERSATION,● SHARE, ADD LINKS, USE KEYWORDS,● SEARCH FOR YOUR TARGET MARKET● USE THIRD PARTY TOOLS TO GET STATS● ALWAYS THINK OF WAYS TO ENGAGE● DONT BE STATIC● DONT REPEAT YOUR TWEETS● FOLLOW● MENTION, RETWEET,+1, LIKE, Comment● CREATE YOUR OWN UNIQUE CONTENT