View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
What Is The Ambedkarite Press?• Adjective “Ambedkarite” comes from word “Ambedkar”• Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar (14 April 1891 – 6 December 1956), popularly also known as Babasaheb, was an Indian jurist, political leader, philosopher, anthropologist, historian, orator, economist, teacher, and editor.• He was also the Chairman of the Drafting Committee of Indian Constitution.
• Born into a poor Mahar (considered an Untouchable caste) family, Ambedkar campaigned against social discrimination and the caste system• He converted to Buddhism and is also credited with providing a spark for the transformation of hundreds of thousands of Dalits or untouchables to Buddhism.
• His mantra was „educate, agitate and organize‟• There has been a good deal of progress among Dalits in education, although it still lags behind that of others.• With the spread of education, Dalits began expressing themselves and created their own literature, „Dalit Literature‟.
• Dalit Literature today has challenged & questioned the literature written from an “Upper Caste Point of View” & has gained recognition & respectability• Besides literature, there are groups which work for cultural awakening of Dalits through the medium of songs, music, street plays and dramas
• Several newspapers & magazines from the “Dalit” point of view are published• Dr Ambedkar himself was a voracious reader & a prolific writer, authoring several books and publishing various publications
• There are numerous e-mail groups, blogs and social networks like facebook, twitter, and so on with which Dalit youths have formed their virtual networks which are also reflect deep concern for the community issues.• There is also talk of having TV Channels & Radio Stations dedicated to Ambedkarite thought.
• So, in short, The Ambedkarite Press refers to the media or press (print, broadcast & new media) that identify and propagate ideas from the “Ambedkarite” point of view.
Compiled by Saurabh Deshpande follow on twitter: saurabhd3108