Making connections2010


Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Making connections2010

  1. 1. Student Support and Development Service Making Connections Where to go for advice and support for study, career and personal issues
  2. 2. UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER · STUDENT SUPPORT AND DEVELOPMENT SERVICE Making Connections This leaflet has been written to give an outline of the various development and support services available to students at the University of Leicester. Each entry provides details of who to contact for further help or information. Services marked with an asterisk (*) are part of the Student Support and Development Service (SSDS). A selection of further local and national sources of information, advice and guidance can be found on our website at Learning & Career Development Student Development* Student Development Zone, Second Floor, David Wilson Library T: 0116 252 2004 W: E: Whether it’s developing the skills you need to succeed on your course, or in your life beyond university, Student Development is here to support and facilitate your academic, professional and personal development. Visit the Student Development Zone in the David Wilson Library to access our extensive range of resources: we have over 50 different study guide titles and 20 career development guides, so whether it’s writing better essays or building a CV, instant advice is available to take away. You can also access these resources from our website along with a range of online resources such as interactive study skills tutorials and videos on developing your career prospects. One-to-one advice is available via study consultations, research consultations, maths help, and careers
  3. 3. consultations. You can see our advisers face-to-face in the Student Development Zone or use our website to find out how to access our services remotely. Every term, we have a busy programme of interactive workshops covering a diverse range of topics. Our learning development titles range from avoiding plagiarism to improving your essay writing, to giving effective presentations. Career development titles cover all the essential areas such as CV writing, job searching, application forms and interview skills. Student Development provides lots of opportunities for you to develop your employability skills whilst at university. We maintain strong links with employers and advertise their vacancies and work experience opportunities through JOBSonline (on our website). We have a busy programme of employer-led events, from skills workshops to careers fairs, and we organise numerous opportunities for you to make the most of your time at university. Choose from a wide range of volunteering opportunities, work placement schemes and enterprise activities, or take an accredited programme and gain a Leicester Award. Research postgraduates are catered for with resources, events and training specific to their needs: from Starting Your PhD workshops to university-wide events such as the annual Festival of Postgraduate Research.
  4. 4. To find out more about how Student Development can enhance your success at university and beyond, visit our website. AccessAbility Centre* AccessAbility Zone, Ground Floor, David Wilson Library T: 0116 252 5002 W: E: The Centre offers a range of services to all University of Leicester students who have specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, disabilities or long-term conditions. Staff offer one-to-one support, assessment of dyslexia, the co- ordination of alternative examination arrangements and assistance with applications for the Disabled Students’ Allowance. The open access Centre acts as a resource base for students and staff and is a relaxed place for students to work. Its computers are equipped with specialised software for screen enlargement and speech output (essay planning software and basic speech output software are on the University-wide CFS network). Low-level photocopying and printing facilities are also available. The Centre welcomes self-referrals as well as referrals from academic staff. Education Unit Student Support Centre, Percy Gee Building T: 0116 223 1132 W: E: The Education Unit is one of the main and crucial services that the Students’ Union provides for students. The aim of the Unit is to provide an impartial and confidential academic advice service to students across the University on such topics as changing course, how to report mitigating circumstances, and academic appeals.
  5. 5. The Student Support Centre is open weekdays from 10 am - 4 pm. This service is available for all students. You can either pop in or book an appointment in advance by contacting us on the details above. English Language Teaching Unit Readson House, 96-98 Regent Road T: 0116 229 7856/7 F: 0116 229 7818 W: E: The English Language Teaching Unit (ELTU) offers: full-time year-round pre-sessional courses in academic English and study skills to international students to prepare them for admission to degree programmes; in-sessional language support to students already on degree courses; and tailor- made language courses for external clients. It also advises academic staff on English language entry requirements and helps international students adapt to life in a different culture.
  6. 6. Health & Wellbeing Student Counselling, Healthy Living and Mental Wellbeing Service* 161 Welford Road, Freemen’s Common (behind Freemen’s Common Health Centre) T: 0116 223 1780 (Counselling) E: T: 0116 223 1268 (Healthy Living) E: T: 0116 252 2283 (Mental Wellbeing) E: W: The staff of this Service offer a range of expertise and support for both the physical and psychological aspects of health and wellbeing in the context of the student journey. The Service is available to all students of the University. The Service can also provide advice and information to all members of the University community about supporting students with concerns relating to their physical or mental health. Counselling support offers confidential counselling sessions on a one-to-one or group basis, as appropriate. Students may seek counselling for a variety of reasons both academic and personal; some just want to come once to talk over something that is troubling them, others may wish to see a counsellor regularly for a period of time, or explore issues together with others in a group. For an initial appointment and explanatory leaflet, please ring or email the Service or visit the website. Healthy Living support strives to help students enjoy a balanced lifestyle; the service helps individuals to identify an approach to life which can improve their wellbeing, and enhance their studies, and to reach their full potential. The service is committed to the delivery of health and wellbeing
  7. 7. MAKING CONNECTIONS activities that support students in developing healthy life skills. As well as supporting academic achievement, these skills are transferable and should prove beneficial in the transition from University to the demands of employment and graduate careers. This service works closely with the Freemen’s Common Health Centre and also provides direction to appropriate health care services. For more information about health and wellbeing, visit the website. Mental Wellbeing support offers one-to-one support to students who are managing mental health issues at university. The aim of this support is to assist students to lessen the impact these issues might have on their studies. If required, the service can coordinate a network of support from those available both at the University and in the wider community. Related group activities and educational workshops are offered at various times throughout the year. Students are welcome to make contact with the service at any point in their course. Pre- entry contact is also encouraged from prospective students who wish to discuss the support they may require on course. An appointment to meet with an adviser can be made by telephone, letter, email, or via the website. Freemen’s Common Health Centre 161 Welford Road, Freemen’s Common T: 0844 815 1105 W: The doctors and nurses at the Health Centre provide a wide range of medical services to students and staff registered with the practice. The staff are sympathetic to the health needs and concerns of the University population; students may make an appointment to see a doctor or nurse to discuss any health problems. If they cannot deal with your problem directly, Centre staff may be able to refer you to an appropriate service. Confidentiality is of paramount importance to the practice and will be respected in all circumstances.
  8. 8. UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER · STUDENT SUPPORT AND DEVELOPMENT SERVICE Chaplaincy The Gatehouse, University Road (bottom of Mayor’s Walk) T: 0116 285 6493 W: E: The Gatehouse offers students a place to come and make themselves at home. We are open Monday to Friday during term time. Information is available about local churches and the world faith communities represented at the University. There is a chapel to pray in and a library with a good collection of books. Students can talk to a chaplain from different traditions (Anglican, Baptist, Roman Catholic, Salvation Army, Lutheran, Methodist, Society of Friends (Quakers)) and also to a chaplain for International Students. The Chaplaincy presents an opportunity for students to explore spirituality in a wide sense not limited to Christian understanding. Practical Matters Student Welfare Service* First Floor, Percy Gee Building T: 0116 223 1185 W: E: The Student Welfare Service offers wide-ranging guidance, information and support for students on many issues. Financial advice is offered for prospective and current students; Student Finance Advisers will work with students over hardship and debt issues, negotiating with banks and other creditors, and assisting students in their application for hardship funds, charitable funding and state benefits. A wide range of advice and support is in place for students from overseas including specialist immigration advice;
  9. 9. international students are strongly advised to renew their visa through the scheme offered by the Service. Introductory welcome events are organised for international students throughout the year, particularly at the start of the academic year. Students are prepared for various transitions through, for example, pre-arrival information and advice on cultural readjustment when they leave the UK. Students with families can obtain information about childcare and funding for care, and receive advice on family support and activities within the city. Information is available about English Language classes for spouses. The Student Welfare Service works closely with Residential and Commercial Services to provide high quality support for students living in University owned and managed accommodation. A Welfare Officer (Accommodation) can give advice over private housing contracts, mediate in disputes, and is qualified to provide general housing advice. The University works closely with the local Police over community issues and a Community Warden is employed to develop community cohesion. Support in Accommodation A wide-ranging support / referral system operates within University owned and managed accommodation. Senior students (Sub-Wardens and Resident Advisers) live on site and are trained to provide support, advice and information, and to signpost to professional services. They can listen to concerns and will take appropriate action. They are trained in first aid, fire safety, mediation and crime prevention and are available on a duty rota to help students from 7pm to 8am on weekdays and for 24 hour periods over weekends during term-time, with a limited service during the vacations. Within accommodation students elect Junior Common Room Committees which provide social activities. At Oadby Student Village, an Arts in the Village Programme is organised through which students are encouraged to
  10. 10. develop skills, enjoy music, use practice rooms and take part in competitions and events. Departmental Tutors At the beginning of your course, you will be assigned a personal tutor. This tutor can advise on academic issues and, if required, will act as a link with other staff in the department, student support services and the University administration. Your tutor is also available to discuss issues of a more personal nature and to give advice on other forms of support. In addition to personal tutors, each department has a Careers Tutor and a tutor who acts as a point of contact for students with specific learning difficulties or disabilities. Students’ Union Executive Offices, First Floor, Percy Gee Building T: 0116 223 1124 W: E: “The Students’ Union aims to improve, enhance and support the lives of students at the University of Leicester”. Its primary function is to represent its members, the students, and ensure their rights are upheld. Elected student officers and full-time permanent staff run the Students’ Union and, amongst an array of services, provides The Scholar Bar, a café restaurant, shops, entertainment, leisure facilities, academic and welfare advice, help with accommodation, and a focal point for sports clubs, associations and societies. Students become members of the Students’ Union automatically when they enrol at the University, and there is plenty of opportunity for them to get involved in a number of current campaigns as well as to influence what goes on in the Union through the student parliament.
  11. 11. MAKING CONNECTIONS Safety Bus Activity Resource Centre Percy Gee Building T: 0116 223 1123 W: E: The daily Safety Bus service is provided by the Students’ Union to take students home throughout term time. Two 8- passenger seat vehicles are used to operate the Safety Bus service, driven by qualified student drivers. The service starts at 6pm in the winter and spring term and 7pm in the summer term and there is a ‘pickup’ every half hour. The aim of the service is to ensure that students arrive home safely in the evening, after an event or when the bars and/or library closes. There is also a morning service, where one safety bus is used to take students from Oadby Halls of Residence to the University between 8 and 10am. If you require more information, please email or see the Student Development Transport Officer in the ARC between 10am and 4pm. Nightline Service T: 0116 223 1230 (8 pm – 8 am term-time) E: Nightline is a student-run helpline that operates every night during term-time between 8 pm and 8 am. It aims to provide confidential emotional support on any topic that the caller wishes to discuss, a wealth of comprehensive information (from cinema listings to helpline numbers), as well as company for anyone who simply wants a chat. Trained student volunteers, known as Nightliners, run the service and ensure complete caller anonymity. Nightline can ring callers back if requested, no call will ever be refused, and a choice of female or male listener will be available to talk to.
  12. 12. Student Support and Development Service (SSDS) T: 0116 229 7767 W: E: The Student Support and Development Service (SSDS) provides a fully integrated development and support service for students at the University of Leicester. Many of the units listed in this leaflet work in close partnership to develop and improve the services available to students. Opening times for the different units may vary. Please phone/visit website to find out the current arrangements. See what students say about SSDS at © University of Leicester Leicester LE1 7RH UK 2558_08/10