Mr. Anuj Pandey and Mr. Niraj Pandey, two-brothers-cum-owners, own
Rs.200 Crore annual turnover Academic Book Publishing House. M/s. HPH
with its head office in Mumbai and 28 others small branch offices in different parts of
Central co-ordination is from Mumbai’s Bhandup Office, where the production
Department is also located and this part is looked after by Ms. Nimisha and
few other ladies.
Mr. Niraj Pandey is based at New Delhi and Mr. Anuj Pandey looks after West
And South of India. The Editorial Board, reportedly is at Chennai, where the
Book printing, binding are carried out.
Introduction to SWOT analysis
It is a situational analysis in which internal strengths
and weaknesses of an organization, and external
opportunities and threats faced by it are closely
examined to chart a strategy
SWOT stands for
1. 200 crores annual turnovers.
2. 28 small branch offices in different parts of India.
1. Internal control quality very poor.
2. Books printing quality is not too good.
3. Spelling and grammatical error.
4. Dates and figures often printed wrong.
1. With large turnover of Rs. 200 crores, they have
an opportunity to expand there organization.
2. To become the leading publishing house in India.
3. They can use best talent for writing their books
to create demand in the market.
1. Authors are not satisfied.
2. threats of good competitors in the market like
POSITION OF THE ORGANIZATION
At present, the overall quality of internal control
is very poor.
PROBLEMS AND MAGNITUDES
Spelling and grammatical
Prologue and epilogue
printed side by side
Authors not provide with
-Any type of feedback from
-Annual sales statement
-No information on
LIMITATION AND CONSTRAINTS
• Only 1 head office and 28 small branch office.
• Central coordination is from Mumbai.
• Mr. Niraj Pandey looks at north of India and Mr.
Anuj Pandey looks at south and west of India.
Region covered by the company is so huge that
top management level is not able to look after
the efficiency level of the regional sales manager.
• Printing and binding unit is in Chennai which is
not cost effective because labour in Chennai is
• Market image is going down.
Desired objectives short term, usually
Quantitative, specific target
SHORT TERM OBJECTIVES
• To improve the quality of books.
• To improve co-ordination among employees and
• To correct the spelling and grammatical errors.
• To print prologue in first and epilogue in last.
• To give feedback to the authors from the market.
• Timely payment to authors.
• To retain customers and authors.
• To maintain the current turnover.
STEP-5 and 6
HOW TO REACH THESE OBJECTIVES, SOLVE
IDENTIFIED PROBLEMS AND WITHIN GIVEN
SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS
WITHIN THE GIVEN LIMITATIONS
-Quality of books
-Spelling and grammatical errors
-Prologue and epilogue
-Feedback to authors
-Timely payment to authors
-Quality of books can be improved by using
good quality papers and also good binding of
-These errors can be prevented by the editorial
board. They should go through the books
carefully to avoid these errors.
-Prologue should be given in the first page
and the epilogue In the last page.
-The editorial board should provide the
authors with the proper feedbacks from the
-The Accounts department should look into
this matter that the payments to the authors
are made on time.
COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS
FEW PROBABLE ALTERNATIVES COST BENEFITS DECISIONS
1. Coordination among all the
branches and departments of the
work and intercoms
connecting every dept
productive in their
completed on time
Cost effective. Good for
organization in long run
2. 4 zonal office i.e., north, south, east
Setting up of zonal
office in 4 parts of India
Every branch will be
well organized and
work will be done on
Very expensive. Hence
3. Happy authors Employing more
employees in accounts
department and best
More author will be
attracted and it will
create more business
for the organization
Cost effective. Good for
4. shifting production department to
Cost of shifting Well coordination and
Good for organization in
5. Shifting all departments to a place
cheaper than Metropolis
Building of new head
implementing rules and
Reduction in cost Very expensive at initial
stage but beneficial at
According to our group, the organization should
Alternative 1, coordination among all the branches
and departments of the organization.
Alternative 3, happy authors.
Alternative 4, shifting production department to
In long run , when the organization achieve the
short term objectives then they can think about
shifting all their departments (except publishing
and advertising department) outside metropolis.