Introduction of AXE
1. Axe was born in France in the Year 1983. 24 years
later, this brand is Unilever's Best selling brand
worldwide. It has an iconic status in whichever market
it has entered. It is also one of the rare brands which
can boast of replicating its entire marketing mix across
geographical boundaries. The campaigns that you see
in India is what the entire world is watching. For those
who propound Glocalisation , AXE is an exception.
2. Axe deodorants was launched in India during 1999.
The brand launch was very quiet and theoretically the
brand was having the strategy of Slow Skimming i.e.
High Price Low Promotion.
Impact of AXE in India
1. Axe at that time was the leading men's deodorants brand
in Europe and was popular in India in the Grey market (
available in duty paid shops) .HLL may have launched
this brand inspired by the volume of Axe sold in the
Grey market. At that time, the deo market was a nascent
one with an estimated market size of Rs 72 core. HLL
had the brands Denim and Rexona and was ruling the
market. Axe was priced at a premium above the Denim
brand which was positioned as a male deo brand.
2. Axe initially was launched in the fragrance Java, Alaska
and Atlantic. HLL did not bother to fine tune its
Promotional mix to Indian market but just imported the
promotions .... meaning, the company just ran the ads
which was popular in the Europe and other markets.
1. Each of the fragrances created by international fragrance
diva Ann Gottlieb
2. The formulation is a base with higher efficacy
3. Excellent advertising and branding targeting the youth
4. Good distribution, Promotions and campaigns for luring
5. Also provides grooming range like shaving gel, foam,
After-Shave lotion, and Cologne Talc
1. The age group of 20-30 is highest consumer of AXE
2. The youth believe the choice of their deo brands
affects their personality.
3. A person shows medium level of involvement in
4. Executives/Professionals don’t use AXE deodorant
1. I personally feel that it targets all 'Young at heart" naughty guys.
2. The brand has its brand values of Cool, Fashionable and Stylish.
And world over, the brand sticks to its core values.
3. Underlying message or the DNA which is that the brand users are
High on Confidence and always for the Axe users, Girls Makes The
4. All its campaigns revolve round this central theme of Seduction
where Girl makes the first move.
5. The brand assumes that Men wants( Likes) to be Seduced . That
feeling ( of being seduced) gives a big boost of self confidence to a
man. Although many brands take this proposition, Axe just made it
1. One of the reports term the marketing strategy of Axe as "
Adventurous Marketing" .
2. That is true because its risky because the brand deals with Girls &
Seduction. Not always every one may like the theme or the
3. In India especially there are self styled Cultural Policemen/Women
who cries foul for anything and everything. It is really surprising
that so far, Axe has escaped their AXE.
4. That also shows that the ad agency is also careful about the
concepts put across the Indian media.
5. While in a more liberal markets, Axe tests new levels of "
Adventures" , here the brand plays really safe. It also ensures the
campaigns run in Indian media is accepted because most often its
the entire family who watches the TV.