THE UNITED WORKERS PARTY MUST STAND FIRM AND CONTINUE TO
HOLD STEADFAST IN ITS CONVICTION TO CHANGE:
by Dane Gibson
“The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth
― Bob Marley
For the past fifty (50) years the UNITED WORKERS PARTY in its belief in the
PEOPLE and its dedication to our Country, St Lucia has played an integral role in
shaping and defining the political landscape of our beloved island home, ST LUCIA. The
esteemed founders of the United Workers Party, men and women who served this nation,
set in principles and philosophy of righteousness, consciousness, decency, standards and
the belief that “No Man is an Island -We, St Lucians are all social beings that cannot exist
without our fellow man. We all rely on each on other for survival... This philosophy
continues to perpetuate itself, as evidenced in our coming together to help each other as
good citizens assisting our fellow St. Lucians in times of need. IT IS NECESSARY AND
IMPORTANT THAT the UNITED WORKERS PARTY STAND,HOLD STEADFAST
AND CONTINUE UNMOVED in making in ITS CONTRIBUTION TO THE PEOPLE
OF ST LUCIA……
It is important to note the UNITED WORKER PARTY is an organization. Organizations
that cannot change in response to social context are likely to die or become ineffective.
With Change there is also always the possibility of having to face a certain amount of
2. trouble, adversity, and conflict. However, perception is key, the United Workers Party,
always optimistic, sees opportunity in every difficulty…..THIS IS WHAT MUST
CONTINUE To DEFINE THE UNITED WORKERS PARTY ….. THE PARTY OF
THE PEOPLE….THOSE INVOLVED MUST NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THE BIGGER
We must be cognizant that there are and always will be those who seek to nullify the
existence and relevance of this UNITED WORKERS PARTY. The chastising and
seeking to place its open Democratic process of Change under the microscope with the
use of innuendo, unsubstantiated allegations, misguided propaganda, and party serving
political strategy which only serves for political expediencies, which never serves the
good of PEOPLE or COUNTRY, must be recognized for what is... Unfortunately this is
what the POLITICS OF ST LUCIA has been reduced to. It is up to us and time that WE
as a PEOPLE change that tide…….
My Fellow St Lucians while certain detractors call out the speck in their brother’s
eyes…The Pole in theirs goes unnoticed as this current administration pulls the wool over
the eyes of the People of our Nation to the harsh realities that the current they is yet to
announce any remedy for … The substantiated FACTS as they current exist are:
1. The Nations unemployment and jobless rate is on the rise, dominated by our
2.Continued Loan and borrowing prospecting and deeper debt despite avenues to curb
borrowing and generate revenue.
3. Economic activity that would contribute to growth of the economy is at an all time low
despite the positive changes in the global economy. This Government continues to prove
itself unable to poise itself to take advantage of the current shifts taking place. There is no
bonifide identifiable, sustainable policy to spur economic growth.
3. A justice system plagued with inefficiencies which has resulted in loss of confidence
by international partners and allies and the PEOPLE of the St Lucia.
4. Poor infrastructure, that continues to fail and disrupt the lives of St Lucians
5. An economy in which investors continue to show lack of interest and displays its no
confidence as evidenced in the recent shortfall in the issuance of Gov’t bonds which
failed to meet revenue collection effort.
6. Inefficient tax regime that continues not to meet expectations.
7. Gross conflicts of interest which in and of itself is tantamount to covert corruption that
benefit the Have’s of our Country with the burden placed on the Have not’s to support it.
8. Inefficiencies in national security
3. 9. Inefficient health systems and networks
10. Lack of opportunities and incentives to small businesses to spur economic growth and
11. Foreign Consulates engrossed in entertainment and party planning rather than
engaging foreign business to invest in St Lucia and St Lucian products.
12. The ratio of Gross General Government debt to GDP rose with preliminary estimates
indicating for St Lucia having the steepest 14 percentage points to 89 per cent.(Read
These My Fellow St Lucians are St Lucia’s Harsh realities. THE realities that the
UNITED WORKERS PARTY IS COMMITTED TO FINDING RESOLVE TO. The
empty vessel noise of Press Secretaries and well placed party stalwarts must not be a
distraction. THE UNITED WORKERS PARTY MUST STAND AND CONTINUE TO
HOLD STEADFAST for UNITY…..WORK…and the PURSUIT OF PROGRESS of
ALL ST LUCIANS