1. The 1st Asia Pacific Green Power Conference 20-21 March 2003, Tokyo, Japan Renewable Energy in South Korea : Solar City Daegus Challenge Jong-dall Kim Jong- Research Institute for Energy, Environment and Economy Kyungpook National University Comparison of Average Annual Growth Rates of GNP and Commercial Energy Consumption (per capita, 1985-1995) GNP 9.5% 10 Energy 8.3% 7.7% 8 6.7% 5.9% 6(%) 3.3% 2.9% 3.4% 4 2.8% 2.2% 0.8% 2 - 0.3% 0 World Asia Japan Taiwan S.Korea China
2. Comparison of Energy Intensity 2.5 1985 2.35 2.0 1995 (Toe / $1000 of GDP*)Energy Intensity 1.43 1.5 0.56 0.51 0.49 0.42 0.42 0.40 0.5 0.38 0.38 0.16 0.16 0 World USA Asia Japan S.Korea China * Toe: tons of oil equivalent; GDP in constant dollars. Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Center for Energy and Environmental Policy JISEEF I Scenario Cost-Effectiveness Tests Industrial Sector : Payback period : Average = 1.23 years; maximum of 7 years (less than one-tenth of 1% of cases involve 7-year paybacks) Transportation Sector : Payback Period < 5 years Residential and Commercial Sector: Cost of Conserved Energy (CCE) < 5.0 cents/kWh (60 Won/kWh)Joint Institute for a Sustainable Energy and Environmental Future Future
3. Primary Energy Saving in South Korea (Unit : M.TOE , %) (Unit M.TOE Korea Industrial Sector Scenario Three Implementation Options 130Energy Consumption 120 MOCIE/KEEI BAU 25.0% (Million TOE) 110 16.3% Major Policy 100 Commitment 90 Full 80 Implementation 70 1998 2000 2010 2020 Joint Institute for a Sustainable Energy and Environmental Future Future
4. Korea Transportation Sector Scenario Three Implementation Options 70 MOCIE/KEEI Energy Consumption 60 BAU (Million TOE) Major Policy Commitment 16.3% 25.0% 50 40 Full 30 Implementation 20 1998 2000 2010 2020 Joint Institute for a Sustainable Energy and Environmental Future Future Korea Residential Sector Scenario Three Implementation Options 45Energy Consumption MOCIE/KEEI 40 BAU (Million TOE) 22.0% 33.8% 35 Major Policy Commitment 30 25 Full Implementation 20 1998 2000 2010 2020 Joint Institute for a Sustainable Energy and Environmental Future Future
5. Korea Commercial Sector Scenario Three Implementation Options 30 Energy Consumption MOCIE/KEEI BAU 25 (Million TOE) Major Policy 16.3% 35.8% Commitment 20 15 Full Implementation 10 5 1998 2000 2010 2020 Joint Institute for a Sustainable Energy and Environmental Future Future S.Korea’s Energy Efficiency Scenarios 350 BAUEnergy ConsumptionEnergy Consumption 300 28.7% Major Policy Savings = 62.1 MTOE 16.7% Commitment (Million TOE) (Million TOE) 250 Savings = 95.4 MTOE 200 Full 150 Implementation 100 50 0 1998 1998 2000 2000 2010 2020 2020 2010 Joint Institute for a Sustainable Energy and Environmental Future Future
6. Renewable Energy rate of Major Countries(%) S. Korea 1.01 Japan 2.1 Italy 2.6 U.S.A 4.1 France 4.2 Australia 5.2 Austria 11.1New Zealand 18.1 Source : Energy balances of OECD countries,IEA, 1997-1998 Utilization of New and Renewable Energy by Source Utilization of New and Renewable Energy by Source (As of the end of 2001) Source: MOCIE, South Korea.
7. New Policy for Purchaging Prices New Policy for Purchaging Prices for Renewables for Renewables( ): cents if 1300 won/dollarsource: MOCIE, Korea.average electiricy price: 5 cent Purpose & Conception of Solar City Solar City Daegu Plan(SCDP) is to systematically introduce solar and other renewable energy sources, technologies and industries. Also, It focuses on sustainable emission targets including greenghouse gases, and aims at urban business and industry in solar and other renewable energy technology systems.
8. Background of Solar City Project ! Solar City Concept is firstly introduced 3 years ago, and confirmed formal IEA project in 1999. (Exco IEA task 30). ! Solar City project has implemented from 2002 for 5 years after preparatory period and during this time it has organized preparatory workshop 4 times. Daegu Solar City 2006 Toward advanced Harmony with nature techno- techno-economy Solar Energy 1. Solar Cell Generation1.Greening1.Greening City Project 2. Solar Heating/Cooling Solar Complex - Implant 2 million Trees 3. Solar Village 4. Solar Thema Park - Solar Industrial Park2.Blue2.Blue Sky Project Techno- - Techno-Park - LNG BUS - Sustainable Agriculture Other Renewable Energy - LPG Truck - Mass transportation 1. Energy efficiency 2. RDF energy Eco-3. Eco-Park 3. Bio gas 4. waste- Reuse of waste-heat 5. Wind power 6. Waste recycling Green Environment Eco- Eco-Economy Daegu SolarSolar Model Daegu City City Model
9. River and Central City
10. Solar City’s scope City’ Community, industry and market developmentSOAR energy technology applications Urban and regional greenhouse/energy planning Solar Energy Facility in Sacramento Roof Power Plan Parking Area Zoo Park
11. Solar Heat and Photovoltaic (houses & apartment, in Germany) Specific Projects (1)Solar City Daegu Center Policy Research IEA Solar City Project Bridge Expert, Industry and NGOSolar Technology Center Renewable and Alternative Energy Technology Eco-design : Solar Building and Urban PlanNGO Network and Laws Citizen’s Coalition for Solar City Daegu Solar City Code
12. Specific Projects (2)Solar Thermal System Solar Hot Water System: 10,000 houses Solar Heating System : 2,000 units(Houses, Buildings) 35 houses, 3 units(agriculture)Solar Power Roof-top PV : 512 units PV Street Lights: 1,000 unitsSolar Complex Solar School: hot water, PV: 43 units Green Village : PV, Fuel Cell, Thermal: 1 unit(50 houses) Solar Maeul(District): 6 units Specific Projects (3) Other Renewable Energy Wind Power: 2 units Small Hydraulic Power: 2 units Research on Hydrogen Vehicle Recovery of Waste Heat from Dyeing Factories Energy from Solid Waste Use of LFG: 117,000m3/year(10,000 houses) Use of RDF: 200 ton/year
13. Solar City Daegu’s Major Project ! Green Village Project ! Eco-complex Park Project ! Solar Campus Project ! Solar Park ProjectGreen Village Solar Park Green Village Eco-Complex Park Solar Campus
14. Green VillageLand Use Map Green Village" detached houses" space: 39,450㎡ ㎡ (11,950 pyung) Green Village Plan PV, Solar Thermal, Hydrogen, Recycling System of Water and Waste Waste
15. Reference ModelEco-Eco-complex Park Project PV System 600KW 600KW (4 year project) PV Inverter Monitoring
16. Eco- Eco-complex Park Project 180KW2005 : 180KW 180KW 2004 : 180KW 2003: 180KW 2003: 180KW 2002: 60KW 2002: 60KWtotal 600KW 600KW Solar Park 1st Proejct As a part of Bongmoo Solar park PV stree lighting system was established(6 units).
17. Solar Park 2nd project 2nd project(parking place) 200KW Solar Park 2nd project
18. Solar Campus Plan in KNU• importance of university’s networking and clustering to university’ introduce solar energy and other renewable energy in city level. level.• University is suitable place to install solar energy facility as energy consumption object. object.• Installation of solar energy facility in the university and education of renewable energy has influence on development strategy to local government and private company.• In this context, ‘Solar Campus Plan’ in KNU is promoted. Plan’ Solar thermal collectors Solar thermal collectors installed at gymnasium installed at gymnasium
19. Library: on-grid system with 30 kW capacity.Library: on-grid system with 30 kW capacity. Pond: waterspout (3kW on-grid system) Pond: waterspout (3kW on-grid system)
20. StreetlightsStreetlights(stand alone(stand alone systems) systems) Expectation of SC Daegu Realization of Daegu Vision Green Daegu Best Technology and Economy Global Warming Response Specific Local Effort Task of Local Agenda 21 Global Geen Cooperation Globalization of Daegu Industry and Citizen’s Involvement