EUNAWE GermanyDr. Cecilia Scorza , Natalie Fischer, Haus der Astronomie, Heidelberg, Germany Prof. Andreas Quirrenbach, Heidelberg University
1. Main goal: EUNAWE Germany as a motor of cultural and social integration in German industrial citiesDisadvantaged children in GermanyGroup 1: children with immigrant background• feeling like a foreigner their whole lifes• emotionally closed, -unable to learn the german language -“bad“ at school -end up in the so-called „special schools“Group 2: children of unemployed people• They receive a very modest economical support from the goverment• Some parents are alcoholized, watch TV the whole day, their daily diet is VERY bad• Lack of perspectives
2. Previous and current activities & experience since 2002Heidelberg Observatory, University of HeidelbergProf. Andreas Quirrenbach
3. Expertice and skills that will be brought into the project (E)UNAWE Educational materials Throughout playful activities Learning by doing / listening stories Learning to share Learning to change perspectives Cognitive aspects Observational skills Spatial orientation Recognize & classify objects Prof. Sabina Pauen Developmental psychology Psychology Institute Heidelberg University Identification figures MP9 EVALUATION!!
Intensive work with the„multi-cultural Moon“ China Kenya Kongo „universal“
Expertice: UNAWE Project in Ludwigshafen with support of the BASF and the University of Heidelberg•790 pre-scholar teachers•27 teacher trainings in 3 years•500 Euros / Kindergarten Ludwigshafen Ludwigshafen Heidelberg Heidelberg Natalie Fischer Cecilia Scorza
A multi-task project… 80-90 % children with immigrant background!! UNAWE Training on astronomy Implementation UNAWE Training on Integration of the Mathematics parents & Natural Sciences, Language
Teacher training at the Heidelberg ObservatoryConstraints:Face-to-face programme (no computers, no internet facilities!)Teacher training: 2 days, 1 night, 1 supervision dayProgramm of the trainingCategorization of objects, scales, beauty of objectsIntroduction to the UNAWE idea (cultural and social aspects)Modul 1: The Moon-Sun-Earth as a system (Earth awareness, Earth-citizen-awareness)Modul 2: The Earth in the Solar SystemModul 3: The world of the constellations Myths and storiesModul 4: Our place in the Milky Way and the families of galaxiesObservations (of the Moon, Sun, planets, constellations)
Intercultural or “interplanetary“ education with „Godo“ (our „E.T“) Godo comes „from abroad“ (exoplanet) He needs help, doesn´t speak a our language We can learn a lot from him… and he from us…Six months later…Alina came also „from abroad“ (Croatia)..
Work with the parents Parents with immigrant background: collect myths and stories around the sky
Success thanks to the pre-scholar teachers! Expert group (consultants),hotline, tips• 790 pre-escolar teachers working actively for UNAWE• Impact even after three years• Per year 9.800 children ages 3-6• In three years 30.000 children
4. National project managers: Status of recruitment 5.1 A new home for EUNAWE at the House of Astronomy (Sept. 2011) EUNAWE endorsement of the German Astronomical Society (AG) EUNAWE room & office
4. National project managers: Status of recruitment Natalie Fischer, Cecilia Scorza Physicist and educator Astronomer and educator Anita Bucur, developmental psychologist One special contribution to the EUNAWE project: Evaluation instrument (WP9) for EUNAWE The great challange: to evaluate a programme that not only estimulates the scientific mind but also has very strong social and (multi)cultural components