Inspiring every child with our wonderful cosmosPedro RussoUNAWE/Leiden University, NLe. firstname.lastname@example.org. @unawe | @prussf. facebook.com/unawe
INsPIRATIONUse perspective, inspiration and fun of astronomy to: - Introduce young children to the excitement of science - Enhance their understanding of the world and demonstrate power of rational thought - Broaden children’s minds - Stimulate world citizenship, tolerance
Universe Awareness Astronomy-based program with social goals Exposing disadvantaged young children (ages 4 to 10) to the inspirational aspects of astronomy
EU-UNAWE Development of UNAWE programs in 6 countries over 3 yearsThe Netherlands Germany The UK Spain Italy South-Africa 1. International Network - Platform for teachers and development of professionals worldwide - Exchange of ideas, experience and materials - Coordinators and managers in each participating country, tailored to each country/community 2. Educational Material - Games, cartoons, songs, hands-on material - Needs to be FUN and INTERACTIVE 3. Teacher Training - Give teachers the confidence to introduce astronomy and other science topics in their classrooms - Teacher = strong multiplier
1. Network 40 Countries (6 EU-UNAWE) 500+ Educators/Teachers/Astronomers
1. Network• International website: www.unawe.org
2. Educational material • Online resources: open-source (creative commons license ) • August 2011: Science Magazine’s SPORE Science Award! Science Prize for Online Resources in Education Showcase of best educational resources available online‘Deadly Moons’
2. Educational materialSpace ScoopRegular breaking news update for childrenShare with children the excitement that the latest scientific discoveries bringDemonstrate that there is still much to learn about the Universe – research that they could contribute to in the future
2. Educational materialSpace Scoop:Collaboration with ESO, NASAChandra, South African AstronomicalObservatory, Royal AstronomicalSociety and EuroplanetTranslations in 16 Languages
2. Educational material UNIVERSE iN a BOX Resonates with UNAWE’s mission of didactic, interdisciplinary, and cultural content LocalizableModular and Low-cost Easy to with UNAWECustomizable Materials Reproduce Network
3. Teacher Training340 hours of teacher traning in 6 countries:Number of teachers trained in 6 countries: 375Number of children reached by teachers trained (~numbers): 15 170
www.eunawe.com www.unawe.orgFunded by Consortium Part of Armagh Observatory
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.