View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Use subheadings with care; they can focus your search dramatically.
Shows where term
is on the “tree” &
what other terms
will be included in
your search (every
PubMed : Revised search terms,
keywords + MeSH
OR = More results
AND = fewer results
(Alzheimer disease OR dementia)
dementia AND electric stimulation
(alzheimer disease OR dementia) AND (electric
stimulation OR brain stimulation) AND (social
perception OR cognition OR cognitive disorders)
Age, Language, Species, Article
1. Scenario: You want to find out what the research says about sex differences in drug
addiction. Write down at least three keywords that you would use to search this topic:
2. How would you limit your search to results from 2008-present?
Substance related disorders, drug abuse, drug dependence
Specific drugs such as cocaine, marijuana, alcohol
Click the Publication Dates – Custom Range
and enter 2008-2013
3. Locate the article by Jill B. Becker entitled Sex differences in drug abuse.
– How did you locate this citation? Single citation matcher
– What are 3 MeSH terms used to index the article? cocaine, estrogen, narcotics, nicotine
– Does UM have electronic access? Yes
– What is the PMID of the article?
SEARCHING WEB OF SCIENCE
Access from Psych 331 research guide or library web site
1. Scenario: You want to learn more about gender differences of opioid addicts- specifically
concerning treatment options. Write down at least three keywords that you would use to
search this topic:
2. If you wanted to refine your search to obtain results from a specific discipline, what
button/feature would you select?
Click the Web of Science category you wish to view - press ‘Refine’
3. Locate the article by Robert N. Jamison entitled Gender differences in risk factors for aberrant
prescription opioid use.
– How many times has this paper been cited thus far? 19
– Does UM have access to this article? Yes
– How would you find more articles by this author? Click on author name or search by
author on front search page.
Carol Shannon email@example.com
Susan Turkel firstname.lastname@example.org