Applications o the 90s: this was all about getting manual processes automated for standard business processes Applications to Survive: the notion here is that the CxO is concerned about the customer – how to find them, close them, and keep them. Knowledge about the customer and how the companies actions and competitive actions will impact the customer are key to survival. Operational Efficiencies are also still extremely crucial for bottom line impact. Automation of media asset production or the automation of on-line selling and buying is critical to the ability of the organization to control costs.
This growth shows the explosive growth of data volumes. GartnerGroup, (not included in this graphic), forecasts that between 1999 and 2004, the amount of data companies store will increase 30 fold.
9 In order to move to this second phase of data processing, companies need to bring under control the data that is currently unmanaged. This includes the list that you see in front of you on the slide. Every company has a tremendous number of documents that are stored in paper form. On laptops you may have a gigabyte or more of spreadsheets, presentations, word processing files and email in file systems which are extremely difficult to search because they are not under data management control. Analysts tell us that only about 15% of the worlds data is in a database, the rest is unmanaged.
Why will NewCo and by extension be successful in this market? Because we have the technology, culture, installed base and professional staffing to fully resource and leverage the market opportunity. This slide lists are unique differentiators and should stress the value our openness, vision and partner centric culture will add to our joint success.
1. Ascential Software Strategy and Direction
2. Ascential Software at a Glance Formed September 19 th 2000; Named on January 16 th , 2001 (Formerly Informix Business Solutions) Headquartered in Westboro , MA USA 1000 Employees World-wide in over 25 countries Over 1 6 00 Customers World-Wide Over 200 Partners World-wide $ 122M Revenue in 2000 23 April – Announced the sale of Database Division to IBM FOCUS: Information Asset Management
3. IBM-Ascential Partnership <ul><li>IBM plans to acquire Informix Software </li></ul><ul><ul><li>(database business) </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Ascential gets proceeds valued at $1B </li></ul><ul><li>IBM will resell </li></ul><ul><ul><li>DataStage for DB2 Warehouse Manager </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>DataStage 390 for DB2 Warehouse Manager </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Media360 </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Informix Corporation will become Ascential Software </li></ul>
4. Market Position Ascential Gains Independence <ul><li>Complete spin-off of Ascential from Informix </li></ul><ul><li>Customer perspective: Ascential completely platform and database independent </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Oracle user pipeline grew after January Ascential launch </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Makes non-Informix prospects more confident </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Ascential’s IAM message now endorsed by a major data management vendor: </li></ul><ul><li>“ Managing information assets is fundamental to the growth and succcess of every company today,” said Janet Perna, general manager,IBM’s Data Management Solutions. “Our DB2 and AIX platforms, combined with Ascential Software’s data integration and media asset management offerings, will allow us to deliver new solutions to integrate and manage the growing volumes and variety of data in today’s enterprise” </li></ul>
5. Financial Impact Ascential Can Fund It’s Own Growth <ul><li>Proceeds from database sale valued at $1B </li></ul><ul><li>Use cash infusion in two ways </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Investing in more partnerships </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Strengthen the product portfolio </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Funding to enhance shareholder value </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Substantial stock buy-back </li></ul></ul>
6. Ascential Software’s Goal Changing the Way the World Looks at Information Help today’s information-intensive companies convert their unrefined raw data and content into valuable, reliable, re-usable information assets
7. Business Imperatives for Global 2000 <ul><li>Applications of the 90’s - companies have spent a lot of money on automating and empowering their management with information and transaction management systems </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Legacy, Financial, ERP, HR, SFM, CRM, E-mail, Web (B-B and B-C) </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Applications to survive in 21 st century - in order to stay competitive and survive - companies will require: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Customer centricity </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Operational efficiency </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Value chain integration </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Focus on ‘off balance sheet’ assets </li></ul></ul>
8. Business Imperatives for Global 2000 <ul><li>Realisation that ‘new business’ is driven by information with information and becoming the new currency </li></ul><ul><li>This currency brings a value only when we spend it </li></ul>Source: Meta Group
9. ??? ERP video images documents web clicks transactions customer data sales data data feeds web sites People (and programs) that need information He who uses information most effectively wins Sea of information The Challenge customers partners employees
10. Data Volumes: Big…And Getting Bigger Source: “Surviving the Perfect Storm in Data Management” DM Review, January 2001
11. Enterprise Content is Largely Un-managed In a Database 15% Un-managed 85%
12. <ul><li>“ Rich media will become a supporting technology in several revenue-generating and cost-saving applications and will be used by enterprises to attract prospective customers as well as retain and further penetrate existing accounts. </li></ul><ul><li>Rich media will be deployed to improve the effectiveness of online advertising, Web marketing, sales, customer interaction centers, channel/partner management, collaboration, and training. We also anticipate that rich media technologies will be used to enhance online service and self-help experiences for users”. </li></ul>Why is content (rich media) so valuable? John Bowen FAC/Util, January 24th 2001
13. Market Evolution Document Management Media Asset Management DW/BI Multi-Media 1990 1995 2000 Web Content Dynamic Web Content Web Content Management Portals DW Architectures Client Reporting Tools Analytic Applications Bi-Portals E- Analytics ETL
14. Ascential Software Information Asset Management Framework Ascential has developed a framework which addresses the five critical aspects of Information Asset Management SFM CRM HR Employee Partner Customer Predict Decide Act Reuse Collaborate Collect Validate Organize Administer Deliver
15. Data Movement and Replication (ETL) Software License Revenue $M <ul><li>Growth Drivers: Application Integration, Sychronized Data needs </li></ul><ul><li>Ascential leader in revenue and units </li></ul>Fastest Growing Segment of Warehouse Generation Tools Market 1999 Market Share 13.9% Ascential 12.9% Informatica 7.1 % ETI 2.5 % Sagent Movement and Replication (25% CAGR) Total Generation Tools (13.7% CAGR) *Source: IDC, August 2000
16. Media Management - MAM Market Share 2000 Source: Private Research including Frost & Sullivan, Gartner Jupiter, Forrester, Arther Andersen, IDC Total Market Est. 2000: $100M
17. Confirmation “ We are witnessing leading enterprises become increasingly aware of information’s tangible value. Ascential’s novel strategy appears squarely focused on assisting these enterprises in evolving from treating information as a business by-product, to managing it as a true corporate asset. This tack along with the fresh identity, targeted technology portfolio, and robust methodology should further convince the industry of its database independence and real potential as a partner for success.” Doug Laney Vice President Application Delivery Strategies METAGroup According to Meta Group - by 2004, companies will be managing 10 times as much data as they do today!
18. Key Products <ul><li>DataStage XE ® is complete platform for the collection, validation, organization, and administration of all types of data. </li></ul><ul><li>DataStage XE ® is the only solution with </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Data and meta data integration services across the mainframe,Unix, and NT sources and targets </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Patented full-life cycle meta data management </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Built-in data quality assurance </li></ul></ul>DataStage XE
19. Key Products and Solutions Ascential’s SAP Solutions combine infrastructure components with pre-defined templates, so companies can fully leverage the information assets in their SAP data environments. Ascential’s SAP Solutions also allow companies to integrate their enterprise operational and legacy systems with SAP’s Business Information Warehouse (BW). SAP Solutions
20. SAP-Ascential Partnership – 30/4/01 <ul><li>SAP, number one ERP vendor, chooses Ascential as enterprise data integration partner </li></ul><ul><li>SAP to resell and directly support Ascential’s DataStage SAP product </li></ul><ul><li>Positions mySAP BW for growth as an open enterprise data warehouse </li></ul><ul><li>Positions Ascential to lead in “ERP data integration” market segment </li></ul><ul><ul><li>SAP: largest ERP vendor </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Visibility within 3,000 SAP customers worldwide </li></ul></ul>
21. SAP- Ascential Alliance Summary <ul><li>Three year reseller agreement to provide SAP customers low price entry for enhanced data integration capabilities for SAP BW environments </li></ul><ul><li>Enables SAP to sell a combination of Ascential products in two individual packages </li></ul><ul><li>Ascential generates revenue from 1) royalty payment and 2) complementary offerings to SAP packages </li></ul><ul><li>Ascential and SAP sales forces will work together to provide customers with a total solution </li></ul><ul><li>BW load will no longer be sold by Ascential direct sales force </li></ul><ul><li>Ascential engineer located on site at SAP headquarters </li></ul><ul><li>Establishment of two competency centers for customer and partner training, and Proof of Concept projects </li></ul>
22. Key Products <ul><li>Web Success is the only solution offering </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Linearly scalable clickstream analysis for web-site traffic analysis </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Capacity to support multi-channel customer analysis </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Robust warehouse/data mart models for over 35 industries </li></ul></ul>Web Success
23. Key Products <ul><li>A family of customer-centric analytic components for enabling the development of analytic applications </li></ul>Analytic Components
24. Key Products <ul><li>Axielle is a 2 nd generation enterprise information portal, providing employees with a single point of access to all the information assets dispersed across an enterprise. </li></ul><ul><li>Axielle ™ is the only solution with </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Sophisticated XML-based business information directory </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Meta data integration with data warehousing and BI environments </li></ul></ul>Axielle
25. Key Products <ul><li>Media360 is a complete solution for collecting, organizing administering and delivering all types of media assets. </li></ul><ul><li>Media360 is the only solution with: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>sophisticated flexible workflow </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>enables immediate access to video/audio content for browsing and searching </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>capabilities for enterprise content management including: video, audio, images, desktop publishing tools, web publishing tools, documents </li></ul></ul>Media360
26. Framework - Product Mapping 2001 Axielle i.Decide Media360 SAP Solutions DataStage XE SFA CRM E-mail Employee Partner Customer Predict Decide Act Reuse Collaborate Collect Validate Organize Administer Deliver
27. 1600 Prestigious Customers
28. Data Integration Customers Healthcare Blue Cross Clue Shield Tennessee CareGroup Healthcare Systems Glaxo Smithklein & Beecham Humana Inc. Johnson & Johnson MX Health Institute Novartis Pharmaceuticals Personal Path Systems (Franklin Health) Pfizer Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield Regence Group Washington Dental Services Manufacturing Acindar Acordis Acetate Products Arcor Brunswick Indoor Recreation Glidden Paint Kamen Kraftmaid Kraft Foods Mannington Mills McCormick & Co Monsanto Phillip Morris SC Johnson Stahlwerke Bremen Timken Insurance & Banking ABN Amro Allianz Gruppe American Express Aspecta Banco de Mexico Banco Santander BankBoston Barclays Capital Services Britannia Building Society Citibank Commerce Bank Credit Lyonnais Credit Suisse Deutsche Bank Dresdner Bank Equifax Europe (UK) Fleet Financial Hartford Life JP Morgan Lloyds TSB Insurance Merrill Lynch Standard Chartered Bank USB Warburg Zurich Financial Service Telecommunicaion Airtel Americel BCE Emergus Bell Actimedia Bell South CTBC France Telecom NE&T New World Telephone NexTel Nextel S/A OneLink Orange Communications PSINet Sitel Telecom Italia Mobile Telefonica Chile Telefonica Peru Telemig Celular TELESP TELET Vodafone Ltd. Retail Belron International Benetton Formula Ltd. BizRate.com Carrefour Homeruns.com HomeRuns.com Juvena AG Kinkos Lojas Renner LVMH Palacio Hierro Sabritas Sears Roebuck & Co Spartan Stores Things Remembered Unified Western Grocers Inc Yline
29. Data Integration Customers (continued) Transportation & Hospitality Blacks Leisure Group Boeing Choice Hotels Daimler-Chrysler DHL Systems Ltd. Eldridge Pope & Co Plc. Eurotunnel General Motors Hertz Lease International Truck and Engine Kanton Zurich Leaseplan UK Lex Vehice Leasing Ltd. Northwest Airlines Purolator Courier RAC Motoring Services Railpart Subaru of America Thomas Cook Group Ltd. Consumer Packaged Goods Anheuser-Busch Colgate-Palmolive UK Ltd. ED&F Man Sugar Ltd. Interbrew UK Ltd. Kraft PepsiCo Philip Morris Technology Acuma Information (SI) Agilent Answers Belmin Group Ltd. Bull Information Systems Ltd Caci Ltd. (SI) DST Systems EDS Systems Ltd. Engyro Epixtech Ltd. Fujitsu Siemens GFI Informatique NetCorner Reuters Ltd Samsung Siemens Sitel Sybase (UK) Ltd. Sybase Hang Kong Telcom Italia Zeborg Government & Education Greater Manchester Police Latin-American Institute of Education Ministry of Industry and Trade (Czech) North of Scotland Water Sunderland NHS Trust Syracuse University West Mercia Constabulary Media & Entertainment BMG Entertainment DirecTV Disney Highwire.com Manchester United Plc. Minnesota Public Radio Sistema Brasileiro Televisao Tower Publishing Services Weather Channel William Hill XM Radio Energy Aera Energy Bonneville Power BP Oil UK Ltd Enron Europe Ltd. Enron Power Operations Ltd. ESCELSA Husky Oil Hydro Quebec Pan American Energy Shell Retail International Transportadora Gas del Sur (Argentina)
30. Media Asset Management Customers Broadcasters / Content Creators CNN Grupo Televisa (Mexico) TeleCinco (Spain) Radiotelevisione Italia (RAI) Mediaset (Italy) Canadian Broadcasting Corp TV Bandereintes (Brazil) Televisio de Catalunya Weta (New Zealand) TBS (USA) Publishers Abril (Brazil) NASPERS (South Africa) Retail / Distribution Koch Media (Austria) Sears (USA) Leading ‘Athletics’ brand name (USA) Manufacturing Hewlett Packard (Singapore) Amcor (Australia) Telecommunications / ASP Anatel (Brazil) Williams Vyvx (USA) British Telecom Broadcasting (UK) Hewlett Packard Broadband (Global) Other Ferrari Formula 1 Racing Team (Italy) TXT e-solutions (Italy) Alpha Point (Portugal) Duet Broadcast (Malaysia) iMedlink Portals 100 th Battalion US / Japanese War Memorial Additiv (Switzerland) eBiscom (Italy) Atlas Internet (Spain) Men@Work (Belgium) Regione Vallee D’Aosta (Italy) Education Ministry of Education (Mexico) Texas A&M (USA) Law Enforcement US Marshals Service Carabinieri - Italy
31. A Partner Oriented Approach <ul><ul><li>We promote and leverage a partner centric approach </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Our differentiated offerings add value to </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>SI’s </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>OEM’s </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Application Vendors </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Analytic Vendors </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>We have formalized the information management process and have structured our product and service offerings to deliver maximum return on a company’s information assets. </li></ul></ul>