1. NoteAnalytic data based on 3000 Mainland iOS apps from Umeng platform, fromJanuary to July 2011. This Umeng data analytics report provides insights intodata trends that bring value to mobile developers and mobile businesses.The major findings are • By the end of July 2011, iPhone 4 is far above others, taking 83.4% share in all the iOS devices while iPad2 grew rapidly up to 59.8% share among the iPad devices. iPad2(GSM) has not been released in China, yet it still hit 15% device share. • iOS 4.3 became the mainstream iOS version, increasing from 0.5% to 69.3% in 7 months. New iOS version easily surpassed old iOS version around the first month according to the data. • Like Android’s data, Guangdong, Beijing, Shanghai, Zhejiang and Jiangsu contributed 50.5% of iOS users in China. Unlike other regions, Android phone is more popular than iPhone in Guangdong. Beijing and Shanghai is the most popular iOS user region, with every 8-9 people own a iOS device. • Business&Travel, Books&News apps are more used during working days, while Game, Photo & Music, Social and Lifestyle apps are more used during weekends. Audience prefer using Business&Travel, Books&News apps between 8-10am, and play games, and consume entertainment content during 5-9pm. • iPhone is frequently used at 7am-5pm, iPad is more often used at 6-11pm. In fact majority users use iPad for entertainment and games.
2. As of End July 2011 the iPhone 4 continued its meteoricgrowth figures, now accounting for over 83% of iOS devices iOS devices increasing trend iOS devices distribution 2.2% 0.4% 0.4% 13.6% iPhone 4 iPhone 3GS iPhone 3G iPhone 1 83.4% iPhone 4（CDMA） Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul iPhone 4 iPhone 3GS iPhone 3G iPhone 1 iPhone 4（CDMA） Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com www.umeng.com
3. iPad2 usage grew rapidly up to 59.8% share of iPad devices,overtaking the original iPad for the first time.Despite not receiving an official release in China, the iPad2(GSM) still hit 15.5% market share by the end of July. iPad model increasing trend iPad model distribution 0.2% 15.5% iPad iPad 2 (WiFi) 40.2% iPad 2 (GSM) March 11, iPad 2 release May 6， iPad 2 (CDMA) in US. iPad 2 release in china 44.0% Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul iPad iPad 2 (WiFi) iPad 2 (GSM) iPad 2 (CDMA) Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com www.umeng.com
4. iOS 4.3 become the dominant iOS version, increasing from0.5% to 69.3% in 7 months. iOS version distribution iOS version distribution in January 2011 in July 2011 3.1% 0.5% 0.0% 11.8% 8.0% 7.7% 4.3 4.3 4.2 19.6% 4.2 41.9% 4.1 4.1 4.0 4.0 3.x 69.3% 3.x 38.2% Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com www.umeng.com
5. New iOS version easily surpassed the old iOS version after thefirst month of release. After 3-4 months it has now reached60-70% share. Background info iOS version distribution trend November 22, 2010: iOS 4.2release70% February 6, 2011: iOS 4.2 Perfect Jail Break tool release60% January 13, 2011: iOS 4.3 beta release50% Match 11, 2011: iOS 4.3 releae40% April 5, 2011: iOS 4.3 Perfect JailBreak tool release30% The release of iOS 4.3 perfect Jail20% break tool brought obvious iOS 4.310% version upgrade trend. 0% Stablization is considered as the Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul key reason to upgrade by Chinese 3.x 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 iOS users. Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com
6. Jailbroken devices percentage grew from 34.6% to 51.0%during Q2 attributed by the huge number of Jailbroken iPhone4. Jailbroken devices iPhone 4 share among all iOS60.0% devices 53.4% 70.0% 51.0%50.0% 60.0%40.0% 50.0% 34.6% 32.1% 40.0%30.0% 65.9% 30.0%20.0% 54.0% 20.0%10.0% 10.0% 0.0% 0.0% Q1 Q2 Q1 Q2 iPhone 4 All Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com www.umeng.com
7. The percentage of Jailbroken devices for each iOS release is related to how long the release has been live, the newer the iOS version the fewer Jailbroken phones. Jailbroken devices Jailbroken iOS versioniPhone 4（CDMA） 73.0% 4.3 47.0% iPhone 4 53.4% 4.2 55.6% iPhone 3GS 58.3% iPhone 3G 86.9% 4.1 70.4% iPhone 1G 98.8% 4.0 73.2% iPad 2 (CDMA) 18.9% 3.2 51.8% iPad 2 (GSM) 27.5% 3.1 90.2% iPad 2 (WiFi) 24.9% 3.0 97.5% iPad 49.8% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100%Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2www.umeng.com www.umeng.com
8. Guangdong、Beijing、Shanghai、Zhejiang、Jiangsu contributethe 50.5% of iOS devices in China. Beijing Jiangsu Shanghai Zhejiang Guangdong Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com
9. Despite a large number of iOS users, Guangdong is the onlymajor Smart phone using region where iOS devices have alower market share than Android. Beijing is the iOS devicehighest engaged region, 1 in every 9 people own a iOS device. Region devices comparison Per capita iOS device iOS vs Android60% 0.120 0.100 49.5%50% 51.6% 0.08040% 0.060 0.04030% 0.02020% 0.000 19.5% 12.8% 9.9% 9.8% 9.1% 8.8%10% 8.7% 6.4% 7.0% 6.9%0% Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 *Data source： www.umeng.com • 2010 sixth national population census; • iimedia 2011 China iOS Android • Apple iphone user research report • July 2011,Umeng data Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 * Per capita iOS device=region iOS devices/region population www.umeng.com
10. Business, Travel, Books & News apps are more used most during working days, Games,Photo, Music, Social and Lifestyle apps are more used in the weekend.Users like to use Business, Travel, Books and News app between 8-10am, and playgames, consume entertainment content during 5-9pm. Percent of sessions by category Percent of sessions by category (Day within a week) （Time within a day） Game 8% Game Photo&Music 7% Business&Travel Entertainment Books&News Social 6% 5% Lifestyle 4% Average 3% Entertainment 2% 1% Tool 0% Books&News 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24Business&Travel 45% 50% 55% Business&Travel Social Working days Weekend Entertainment Books&News Photo&Music Lifestyle Tool Game Average Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com www.umeng.com
11. iPhone is frequently used at 7am-5pm,iPad is more often used during6-11pm, iPad is used primarily for entertainment and games. iPhone vs iPad usage iPhone vs iPad Usage （Within a day） （Within a week）10% 20%9% 19%8% 18%7% 17%6% 16%5% 15%4% 14%3% 13%2% 12%1% 11%0% 10% 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun iPhone iPad iphone ipad Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 Data Source: Umeng Analytics, 2011Q2 www.umeng.com www.umeng.com
12. About this report Release Date October 2011 Source Analysis data based on 3000 Mainland iOS apps from Umeng analytics platform, covering almost 15,000,000 iOS devices, from January to July 2011. Statement Above data belong to Umeng platform. Any use of data can be used for free provided that Umeng is quoted as the original source.
13. Umeng Data Analytics Platform Umeng Data Analytics: Umeng Data Analytics Platform is the leading and largest provider of mobile app analytics and developer services in China. Umeng offers enterprise-class analytics to thousands of mobile app developers in over 40,000 apps across iOS, Android and Windows Phone platforms. Features: Trend Analysis: Provides developers an overall trend analysis, through measures such as daily sessions, new users, total users, and active user ratio across app versions. Audience Analysis: Audience analysis helps to track end user data, providing deep insight into app audience behavior. With Funnel Analysis, you can also track the conversion rate of each step, helping you achieve your goal. Channel Distribution Analysis: Provides deeper understanding of the performance of different distribution channels such as number of active users from each channel, thereby supporting developers to define channel distribution strategy and measure channel marketing performance. User Defined Analysis: Set the events to track the key functions or details of end-users, such as user engagement etc. This helps developers to gain a greater insight about end user activities. Industry Benchmark: The first app benchmark in China. Umeng Analytics Demo: http://www.umeng.com/apps
14. Umeng, a Beijing-based startup founded in April 2010, is the leading andlargest provider of mobile app analytics and developer services in China.Umeng offers enterprise-class analytics to thousands of mobile appdevelopers across iOS, Android and Windows Phone platforms. Umeng hassince raised more than USD10 million from Matrix Partners and InnovationWorks. The team is working around the clock to build better solutions for mobileapp developers. www.umeng.com firstname.lastname@example.org