December 28, 1932
- July 6, 2002
• Started in 1958 by Dhrubhai Hirachand
Ambani with his cousin Champaklal Damani.
• Fixed capital- Rs.15000.
• Business mission of importing polyester yarn
and exporting spices to Yemen..
• Partnership with his cousin ends in 1965.
• He founded Reliance Industries in 1966.
• In 1966, 1st textile mill was established at
Naroda in Ahmedabad.
• Started Reliance Textiles under the brand
• The brand was the first to use cricketers as
• The likes of former Australian captain Allan
Border and legendary West Indian batsman
Vivian Richards endorsed the brand.
• In 1975, world bank visited reliance textiles
and certified as the “BEST POLYESTER
• He took his company public in 1977.
INITIAL PUBLIC OFFERING
• Dhirubhai Ambani is awarded with
starting the equity cult in India.
• More than 58,000 investors from various
parts of India subscribed to
Reliance's IPO (Initial public offering) in
• In 1986, the annual general meeting of
Reliance Industries had number of firsttime retail investors investing in Reliance.
• Ambani's net worth was estimated at
about 1 billion by early 1980s.
• Ambani began the process of backward
integration, setting up a plant to
manufacture polyester filament yarn.
• He subsequently diversified into chemicals,
petrochemicals, plastics, power.
• The company as a whole was described by
the BBC as "a business empire with an
estimated annual turnover of $12 billion,
and an 85,000-strong workforce".
• The final phase of Reliance’s diversification
occurred in the 1990s when the company
turned aggressively towards petrochemicals
ZERO TAX COMPANY
• Reliance showed profits in such a manner
that they didn’t have to pay tax to the
government but still went on giving
dividends and bonus to its shareholders.
• It was only after India introduced MAT
regime that reliance was forced to pay.
AMBANI CONTROL OVER
•In 1982, Reliance Industries came up against a rights issue
regarding partly convertible debentures.
• The Bear Cartel, a group of stock brokers from Calcutta, started
to short sell the shares of Reliance.
• A group of stock brokers until recently referred to as "Friends of
Reliance" started to buy the short sold shares of Reliance Industries
on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
•The Bear Cartel was acting on the belief that the Bulls would be
short of cash to complete the transactions and would be ready for
settlement under the "Badla" trading system operative in the
Bombay Stock Exchange.
•All the promoters or owners of these companies had a common
•An investigation by the Reserve Bank of India in the incident did
not find any unethical or illegal acts or transactions committed by
Reliance or its promoters.
• Nusil wadia of Bombay dyeing was the
greatest competitor and threat to
Dhirubhai’s Reliance Industries.
• Tussle with Ramnath Goenka, once was
Dhirubhai’s friend. He teamed up with
Nusil Wadia and try to harm reliance
• Indian express, a broadsheet published by
Ramnath Goenka carries series of articles
stating the unfair means used by the
reliance group to make profits.
• Dhirubhai Ambani was admitted to the
Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai on June
24, 2002 after he suffered a major stroke.
• This was his second stroke, the first one
had occurred in February 1986 and had
kept his right hand paralyzed.
• He was in a state of coma for more than a
week. He died on July 6, 2002, at around
Reliance after Dhirubhai
• In November 2004, Mukesh Ambani in an
interview, admitted to having differences
with his brother Anil over 'ownership
issues.' He also said that the differences
"are in the private domain."
• On June 18, 2005, Kokilaben Ambani
announced the settlement through a press
• The Reliance empire was split between the Ambani
brothers, Mukesh Ambani getting RIL and IPCL & his
younger sibling Anil Ambani heading Reliance
Capital, Reliance Energy and Reliance Infocomm.
• The entity headed by Mukesh Ambani is referred to
as the Reliance Industries Limited whereas Anil's
Group has been renamed Reliance Anil Dhirubhai
Ambani Group (Reliance ADA Group).
• Reliance Institute of Life Sciences, a Dhirubhai
Ambani Foundation Initiative, was established to
promote higher education in various fields of life
sciences and related technologies
Reliance Industries Limited
• RIL is one of the largest publicly traded
companies in India by market capitalization
• Second largest company in India by revenue after
Indian Oil Corporation.
• It is also India's second largest private sector
company by revenue and profit.
• The company is ranked 99th on Fortune Global
500 list of the world's biggest corporations for the
Through sustainable measures, create value
for the nation, enhance quality of life across
the entire socio-economic spectrum and
help spearhead India as a global leader in
the domains where we operate.
•Create value for all stakeholders
•Grow through innovation
•Lead in good governance practices
•Use sustainability to drive product
development and enhance operational
•Ensure energy security of the nation
•Foster rural prosperity
Our growth and success are based on the
ten core values of
Care, Citizenship, Fairness, Honesty, Inte
grity, Purposefulness, Respect, Responsibi
lity, Safety and Trust
Petroleum Refining and
Growth through Energy Products:
• Demand for petroleum products
• Gross refining margins
• Domestic Leadership in Petrochemicals
• World's Largest Producer of Polyester Fibre and
• Fifth largest producer of PP and PX in the world
• Eighth largest producer of PTA
• India's largest and world's eighth largest
producer of MEG
• India's largest manufacturer of Synthetic Rubber
Growth through Consumer Products:
• Fresca anti-microbial and anti-bacterial workwear apparel fabrics
• Home furnishing and auto-textiles
• Silk-Amino suiting fabrics
• Fire-retardant and water-repellent tent fabrics
for defence/ police services
Growth through Value Creation:
Reliance Brands announced exclusive licensing
arrangement with two leading international
Steve Madden, a leading designer, wholesaler and
retailer of fashion-forward footwear and
accessories for women, men and children.
Quiksilver, a leading outdoor sports lifestyle
company to launch their core brands
'Quiksilver' and 'Roxy'.
Across India, Reliance Retail serves over 2.5
million customers every week. Its loyalty
programme, "Reliance One", has the patronage
of more than 6.75 million customers.
SUBSIDIARIES & ASSOCIATES
RELAINCE LIFE SCIENCE
o RIL and BP announced a strategic partnership
in the oil and gas business.
o RIL acquired a 95% stake in (IBSL), which
emerged as a successful bidder in all the 22
circles of the auction for Broadband Wireless
Access (BWA) spectrum conducted by the
Department of Telecommunication,
Government of India
o With the commissioning of the new refinery
in its Special Economic Zone (SEZ),
Jamnagar has now become the petroleum
hub of the world. With 1.24 Million Barrels
Per Day (MBPD) of nominal crude processing
capacity, it is the single largest refining
complex in the world.
o The merger of Reliance Petroleum Limited
(RPL) with Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)
has enabled seamless integration of
operational scale and financial synergies that
existed between the two Companies.
o Turnover :Rs.3,39,792 Crore ($ 66,790
o PBDIT :Rs. 39,811 Crore ($ 7,825 million)
o Cash Profit :Rs. 31,994 Crore ($ 6,289
o Net Profit :Rs. 20,040 Crore ($ 3,939 million)
o Net Profit 10 years CAGR :20%
o Total Assets :Rs. 2,95,140 Crore ($ 58,013
Significant contribution to India's
o 14% of India's total exports
o 5.5% of the Government of India's indirect
o 4% of the total market capitalisation in
o 9.3% Weightage in the BSE Sensex
o 7.8% Weightage in the NSE Nifty
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
Indian Oil Corporation Limited
Present Status Of The
Construction Begins on RSEPL Butyl Rubber Plant
BP and RIL update Government of India on KG D6
block enhancement plan
Planned Maintenance Turnaround at Jamnagar
Pricing of US$800 million 5.875% Senior Perpetual
Stock Market Ratings Of
As on 11-MAR-2013 16:00:06 Hours IST -Spot Price: 841.50 (1.15%)
Futures : As on 11-MAR-2013 15:30:32
28-MAR-2013 : 847.00 (-0.85%)
25-APR-2013 : 851.90 (-0.96%)
30-MAY-2013 : 857.70 (-0.38%)
Total Traded Quantity :
Turnover (in lacs)
No Of Contracts
• International Refinery 2005 At 23rd Annual
Hart’s Refining And Fuel Conference
• 6th Rank In 2011-the Brand Trust Report
• Responsible Care Company by American
Chemistry Council In 2012
• No 1 In Average Market Capitalization
• No 1 In Total Assets
• No 2 In Basis Of Total Income In 2012
Key people: Anil Ambani ( Chairman)
Headquarters: Dhirubhai Ambani
Knowledge Center, Navi
Revenue: US$15.4 billion (2012)
Total assets: US$29 billion(2012)
Employees: 120,000 (2012)
RELIANCE ANIL DHIRUBHAI
•Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (usually referred
as Reliance Group and legally Anil Dhirubhai Ambani
Ventures Limited) is an Indian multinational
•The company, which was formed after Dhirubhai Ambani's
business empire was divided up, is headed by his younger
son Anil Ambani.
•The ADAG Reliance Group has a business presence that
extends to over 20,000 towns and 450,000 villages in India,
and across the globe.
• The shareholder base is over 12 million, among the largest
in the world.
•The group is present in many sectors including Telecom,
Capital, Power, Infrastructure, Entertainment and Health.
Reliance Natural Resources Limited (RNRL)
Reliance Coal Resources
Tilaya UMPP - 4000MW
Krishanapatnam UMPP - 4000MW - on hold
Sasan UMPP - 4000MW
Dadri power plant - 8000MW - On hold
Chitrangi power project - 4000MW
Rosa Power Project - 1200MW
Butibori power Project, Nagpur - 600MW
Samalkot Power Project - 2400MW
Dhirubhai Ambani Solar Park - 40MW
Wind Power - 400MW
Solar Power - 500MW
Hydropower - 2500MW
Mumbai Metro ---- Line1 - 12 km & Line2 - 40
Delhi Airport Metro Express ---- Orange Line 23 km
Reliance Airport Developers (RADPL)-5 Airports
Reliance Sealink pvt ltd ---- 2 Sealinks
Reliance Road projects ---- 11 Road Projects 1000 km
Reliance SEZ ---- Navi Mumbai & Kolkata
Reliance Power Transmission Pvt Ltd
Movies and Television
DreamWorks SKG Studios (Co-Partnership)
Reliance MediaWorks Ltd (formerly Adlabs)
Reliance MediaWorld (formerly Lowry Digital)
BIGFlix - Movies on rent
BIG Music & Video
Reliance Home Video
Reliance ND Studio
BIG FM 92.7 - Radio stations operating in more than 50 cities.
Reliance Broadcasting (RBNL)
Reliance Digital TV BIG TV - DTH service
BIG - CBS channels
Big CBS Prime
Big CBS Spark
Big CBS Love
• Jump Games
• BIGADDA.com - social networking site
• The Plot Blog - BIG Cinemas
• BIG Street
• BIG Maps
• BIG Live
• BIG Digital
• BIG Reach
• BIG Events
Reliance Health is providing integrated health
services through one of the finest hospitals in
Asia – The Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani
Hospital at Andheri, Mumbai. It also plans to
venture into diversified fields like Insurance
Administration, Health care Delivery and
Integrated Health, Health Informatics and
Information Management and Consumer
• Reliance Technology Ventures
• Reliance Cement
• Reliance Aviation Tour & Travels
• Reliance Property Solutions
• Mudra Communication (49% stake, rest
51% sold to Omnicom Group)
• Java Green - A cafe chain with more than
• NIS Sparta - A corporate training
• DTDC Courier & Cargo Ltd.
•Reliance is the main sponsor of Cricket Tournaments. Reliance sponserd
the cricket world cup Reliance World Cup in 1987 and 1996.
•Reliance Mobile is the main sponsor of ICC Cricket World Cup and ICC
World Twenty20 Cricket tournaments.
2011 Cricket World Cup
•Reliance sponsored the ICC 2011 Cricket World Cup held in India, Sri
Lanka and Bangladesh. Reliance Capital, has tied up with the International
Cricket Council and a global non-profit organisation, room to read, to
promote literacy and gender equality in education by contributing Rs.25,000
for every six hit during the World Cup. The initiative is named Boundaries
ICC World Twenty20
•Reliance Mobile also sponsored the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 held in
West Indies and ICC World Twenty20 in 2007, 2008 and 2010.
Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication
Technology DA-IICT - Gujarat.
• Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication
Technology DA-IICT - Kolkata. (Under Construction).
Jamnaben Hirachand Ambani School, Raigad
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Nursing College (KDA-NC) - Mumbai.
BIG Animation Infotainment & Media School (BIG AIMS) - Pune.
Dhirubhai Ambani University (DAU) - Bhopal (Under Construction).
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital &
Medical Research Institute, Mumbai
Kokilaben Ambani Hospital Guwahati
Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Lodhivali,
QUESTION (?) SESSION TO
Is Reliance Industry A Leader
Or Challenger Or Follower??
What kind of industry is
reliance? Is it private or public