REMOVAL OF CANCEROUS TISSUE
BREAST CONSERVING SURGERY OR MASTECTOMY?
LARGE CANCER TISSUE
CENTRALLY LOCATED TUMOURS
LOBULAR OR MULTI-CENTRIC CARCINOMA
RISK OF INVASIVE CANCER
CONTRA-INDICATIONS TO RADIOTHERAPY
PRIMARY TUMOURS FOLLOWING
BREAST CONSERVING SURGERY WOULD BE INADEQUATE
BREAST IS SMALL COMPARED TO THE TUMOUR
• : Mastectomy, NHS Choices, Online Resource: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Mastectomy/Pages/Introduction.aspx, [Last Accessed: 09/12/12 11:32].
• : Gerber B, Krause A, Reimer T, et al. (2003), Skin-sparing mastectomy with conservation of the nipple-areola complex and autologous reconstruction is an oncologically safe procedure, Ann.
• : Mokbel R, Mokbel K (2006), Is it safe to preserve the nipple areola complex during skin-sparing mastectomy for breast cancer?,Int J Fertil Women's Med., 51 :5, p230–232.
•  : Sacchini V, Pinotti JA, Barros AC, et al.(2006), Nipple-sparing mastectomy for breast cancer and risk reduction: oncologic or technical problem?,J. Am. Coll. Surg.,203:5, p704–714.
• : Noguchi M, Sakuma H, Matsuba A, Kinoshita H, Miwa K, Miyazaki I (1983),Radicalmastectomy with intrapleural en bloc resection of internal mammary lymph node by sternal splitting,The
Japanese journal of surgery,13:1, p6–15.
• :Neumayer LA, Mastectomy, Online Resource: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mastectomy/article_em.htm, [Last Accessed: 10/12/12 18:44].
• :Figure 2: Mastectomy Images, Online Resource: http://images.emedicinehealth.com/images/4453/4453-54756-57444-62000.jpg, [Last Accessed: 10/12/12 18:49].
• : Edwards HM(2004), Pantogen Surgical Script, Mastectomy.
• : Figure 1: Breast Cancer, Merck Manuals, Online Resource: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology_and_obstetrics/breast_disorders/breast_cancer.html, [Last Accessed:
• : Vitug AF, Newman LA (2007), Complications in Breast Surgery, SurgClin N Am., 87, p431–451.
• :Farrar WB, Fanning WJ (1988),Eliminating the dog-ear in modified radical mastectomy,Am J Surg., 156:5, p401–402.
• : Grunwald Z, Moore JH, Schwartz GF(2003), Bilateral brachial plexus palsy after a right-side modifiedradical mastectomy with immediateTRAM flap reconstruction,Breast J., 9:1, p.41–43.
• : Warner M, Blitt C, Butterworth J, et al. (2000), Practice advisory for the prevention of perioperativeperipheral neuropathies. A report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Task
Forceon the prevention of perioperative peripheral neuropathies.Anesthesiology, 92, p.1168–1182.
• : Tabár L, Gad A, and Holmberg LH (1985), Reduction in mortality from breast cancer after mass screening with mammography,Lancet, 1:8433, p. 829–832.
• : Malata CM, McIntosh SA,Purushotham AD (2000), Immediate breast reconstruction after mastectomy for cancer,British Journal of Surgery, 87:11, p.1455–1472.
• :Arroyo JMG, López MLD (2011), Psychological Problems Derived from Mastectomy: A Qualitative Study, International Journal of Surgical Oncology, 2011.
• : Nerv J, Polivy J (1977), Psychological effects of mastectomy on a woman's feminine self-concept, Ment Dis.,164:2, p.77-87.
• : Vinh-Hung V, Verschraegen C, Breast Conserving Surgery Project (2004), Breast-Conserving Surgery With or Without Radiotherapy: Pooled-Analysis for Risks of Ipsilateral Breast Tumor
Recurrence and Mortality, JNCI J Natl Cancer Inst., 96:2, p. 115-121.
• :Zakireh J (2012), Evolving Role of Mastectomy in Breast Cancer Treatment, The Post-Graduate Course in General Surgery.
• : Carlson GW (2011), Technical Advances in Skin Sparing Mastectomy,International Journal of Surgical Oncology. : Wood JE (1983), Subcutaneous mastectomy: current state of the art, Ann
• : Mastectomy And Breast Reconstruction Audit Report Published, Online Resource: Http://Www.Hqip.Org.Uk/Mastectomy-And-Breast-Reconstruction-Audit-Report-Published/, [Last Accessed:
• [23:] Leak K, Spruce P, Johnson S (2009), Improving outcomes for patients following surgery for breast cancer, Wounds UK, 5:3.
• : Dorval M, Maunsell E, Deschenes L, Brisson J (1998), Type of Mastectomy and Quality of Life for Long Term Breast Carcinoma Survivors, American Cancer Society.
• : Figure 3: Nipple sparing mastectomy, Online Resource: http://www.thesculpturedimage.com/mastectomy.php, [Last Accessed: 11/12/12 18:48].
• : Figure 4: Mastectomy procedure example, Smartdraw, Online Resource: http://www.smartdraw.com/examples/view/mastectomy+procedure/, [Last Accessed: 11/12/12 18:34].
• : Ray C (1977), Psychological implications of mastectomy, British Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 16:4, p.373-377.
• : Al-Ghazal SK, Fallowfield L, Blamey RW (2000),Comparison of psychological aspects and patient satisfaction following breast conserving surgery, simple mastectomy and breast reconstruction,
European Journal of Cancer, 36:15, p.1938-1943.
• :Mastectomy picture, Online Resource: http://www.theharleystreetbreastclinic.co.uk/the-surgical-treatment-of-breast-cancer, [Last Accessed: 12/12/12 18:37].
• :Reconstruction, Online Resource: http://lulupanache.wordpress.com/category/bilateral-diep-reconstruction/page/2/, [Last Accessed: 12/12/12 18:37].
• :Eplasty, Online Resource: http://www.eplasty.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=463&catid=171:volume-10-eplasty-2010 ,[Last Accessed: 12/12/12 18:38].
• :Breast Mastectomy, Online Resource: http://www.vashishtsurgicalservices.co.uk/breast_cancer/patient_info/breast_mastectomy.htm, [Last Accessed: 12/12/12 18:38].
• : Double mastectomy surgery, Online Resource: http://24citinews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/double-mastectomy-surgery.html, [Last Accessed: 12/12/12 18:39].