see blue. U Wildcat Marching Band Presentation Transcript
University of Kentucky
Who We Are
• Entertaining thousands of fans with our spirited, high-energy
performances, the Wildcat Marching Band enjoys a national
reputation as one of the finest collegiate marching bands in
• The Wildcat Marching Band provides a pep band for every
away game in the Southeastern Conference and travels with
the full band to one away game each year.
• The basketball pep band was recently a part of the 2011
NCAA Final Four and the 2012 NCAA Basketball
tournament where UK won their 8th National
• The WMB is the embodiment of school spirit and what it
means to be a part of Big Blue Nation!
Who Can Be in the WMB?
• Flute / Piccolo
• Snare Drum
• Bass Drum
The Wildcat Marching Band is open to anyone who wants
to participate. If you can perform on any of the
following, we would love to have you:
What About My Major?
• The Wildcat Marching Band has students from nearly every
academic major on campus. More than 70% of the WMB are
majoring in something other than music.
• Also, the Wildcat Marching Band has some of the highest GPA’s
on campus. In addition, the WMB’s grade point average is higher
than the campus average, proving that you can be in band and
still get great grades.
Do I have Time?
• YES! We rehearse three days a week (MWF, from 5 – 7 p.m.)
and on game days. No additional rehearsals are scheduled.
• You get a chance to keep performing in front of
crowds of thousands every weekend.
• You will have hundreds of friends before the
first day of school.
• You get to travel all over the country, doing what
• You will make friendships that will last a
How Much Does It Cost?
• The costs of participating in the marching band are
minimal. In fact, most students pay more for books
for a single class than they pay for marching band
• The University of Kentucky provides the financial
support for the band. There is generally no expense
for being in the band except for the purchase of
minimal required attire (between $100 -150) and
uniform shoes (approximately $35). Band members
do NO FUNDRAISING.
• UK Band members do NO FUNDRAISING
Are There Scholarships?
• YES! Thanks to the university’s commitment to having
one of the best marching bands in the country, the
administration has committed to making sure that everyone in
the Wildcat Marching Band gets some kind of scholarship.
• In Addition, students who play in pep bands get paid
$20 per service for women’s basketball and women’s volleyball
games. Most students who participate in pep band make
hundreds of dollars a year for simply playing in basketball /
volleyball band, which is open to anyone who would like to
How Do I Join?
• First, register for the class (MUC 190)
• Sign up for an audition on the UK Bands’
– Winds can set up an audition anytime during the summer with Mr.
Atchison. You can even do it while you are here today!
– Auditions take place during Early Week Band Camp
– Auditions normally take place during Early Week Band Camp, but
can be arranged earlier as well.