1. A successful business man was growing old and knew itwas time to chose a successor to take over the business.Instead of choosing one of his directors or his children, he decided to do something different.
2. He called all the young workers in his company together. "It is time for me to step down andchoose the next Manager," he said. "I have decided to choose one of you."
3. The young workers wereshocked, but the boss continued. "I am going to give each one ofyou a seed today - a very special seed
4. I want you to plant the seed,water it, and come back here one year from today with what youhave grown from the seed I have given you.
5. I will then judge the plants thatyou bring, and the one I choose will be the next Manager."
6. One man, named Jim, was therethat day and he, like the others, received a seed.
7. He went home and excitedly, told his wife the story. She helped him get a pot, soil and compost and he planted the seed. Every day, he would water it and watch to see if it had grown.
8. After about three weeks, some of the other workers began to talkabout their seeds and the plantsthat were beginning to grow. Jim kept checking his seed, but nothing ever grew
9. Everyone else had trees and tall plants, but he had nothing. Jim didnt say anything to his colleagues, however. Hejust kept watering and fertilizing the soil - he so wanted the seed to grow.
10. A year finally went by and all the young workers of the company brought their plants to the Manager for inspection. Jimtold his wife that he wasnt going to take an empty pot. But she asked him to be honest about what happened.
11. Jim felt sick at his stomach. It was going to be the mostembarrassing moment of his life, but he knew his wife was right.
12. He took his empty pot to theboard room. When Jim arrived,he was amazed at the variety of plants grown by the other workers.
13. They were beautiful--in all shapes and sizes. Jim put hisempty pot on the floor and manyof his colleagues laughed. A few felt sorry for him!
14. When the Manager arrived, he surveyed the room and greeted his young executives. Jim just tried to hide in the back.“Oh My word, what great plants, trees, and flowers you have grown," said the Manager. "Today one of you will beappointed the next Manager of the Company!"
15. All of a sudden, the Managerspotted Jim at the back of the room withhis empty pot. He ordered his secretary to bring him to the front.
16. Jim was terrified. He thought, "The Manager knows Im afailure! Maybe he will have me fired!"
17. When Jim got to the front, the Manager asked him what hadhappened to his seed. Jim told him the story.
18. The Manager asked everyone to sit down except Jim. He looked at Jim, and then announced to the young workers, "Here is your next Manager! His name is Jim!"
19. Jim couldnt believe it. Jimcouldnt even grow his seed. How could he be the new Manager?
20. Then the Manager said, "One year ago today, I gaveeveryone in this room a seed. I told you to take the seed, plant it, water it, and bring it back to me today.
21. But I gave you all boiled seeds; they were dead - itwas not possible for them to grow.
22. All of you, except Jim, have brought me trees and plants and flowers."When you found that the seed would not grow, you acted smartly and used some other seeds. substituted another seed for the one I gave you.
23. Jim was the only one with thecourage and honesty to bring me a pot with my seed in it.
24. Therefore, he is thenew Manager of the Company!"
25. If you plant honesty, you will reap … TRUST
26. Why did the Manager give his workersseeds?Who was going to win the contest?What happened to Jim’s seed? Did itgrow?Who convinced Jim to take the empty potto the Manager?Why did the Manager choose Jim to be theManager of his Company?Can you give some examples whenhonesty requires a big courage?