Microsoft Photo Story 3 is a great little program that allows us to easily
create slide shows of the digital photographs with transitions, background
STEP 1: Create a new Project
When you double-click the Photo story icon on your desktop, the following
screen is presented:
STEP 2: Import and arrange your pictures
• Once you click the “Import Pictures” button, you will be presented with a
dialogue box where you can select the images you want to use.
• You can import a maximum of 300 images per project.
STEP 3: Import and arrange your pictures
• Select a photophotos.
• Click “OK” button
• To move a picture, select its thumbnail in the timeline and drag it to the
position you want.
• If you only want to move it over one spot, you can also use the arrow keys
to the right of the timeline.
STEP 4: Editing Images
• To correct the color level of a photo, select the photo (click once on it),
then click the color adjustment button below the photo .
• To remove red-eye, select the photo, then click the red-eye button.
• To rotate your photo 90 degrees right or left, select the photo, and then
click on the appropriate rotate button .
Rotate and Crop
• Once you check the "Crop" box, an area box will appear in the center of
• You can move the box around the photo and resize it until you get the
area you want to keep.
• Once you are satisfied, click the “Save” button and your photo will be
cropped to your specifications.
• By clicking on the “Auto Fix” tab in the Edit Photos window, you can
automatically adjust the contrast levels, the color, and red-eye by turning
these options on.
• Click on the down arrow to open the list of effects, select the one you want
and click “Save”.
• You can work on one photo at a time, or you can advance through the
timeline by clicking the right arrow to move to the next photo to be
edited. When you have finished, click “Close”.
STEP 5: Remove Black Borders
• Photo Story displays the Remove Black Borders button on the Import and
arrange your pictures page.
• Select the photo you want to crop it.
• click the” Remove black borders” button.
• In the photo on the left, we can move the box around and resize it until it
fits properly into the format space. When you are satisfied with the
picture, click “Yes”.
• Notice that you will need to sacrifice some of the "length" of a portrait
style picture in order to accomodate the format of the video.
STEP 6: Add a title to your picture
• Click on the slide in the timeline that you want to add text.
• Type your title into the window
• Click on the text button to add changes on the font.
• Click Alignment button to adjust position of the text either.
• Select effects to change the look of the image.
STEP 7: Customize Motion and Add Transitions
• Select the image that you wish to record information on.
• Click on the “Record Button” to begin recording.
• Click on “Stop Button” to stop recording.
• Click on “Preview Button” to previews the slide and the recorded voice
• Click on “Delete Button” to remove recorded narration (if necessary).
• To customize motion, click on the image in the timeline that you wish to
add motion, click on the "Customize motion button" beneath the picture.
• Check the "Specify start and end position of motion" box.
• Handles will appear in both the Start and End position, use the handles to
position the images for the desired effect.
• Preview the effect and then click "save", use the "arrow buttons" to move
to the next image.
• Click the Transition tab.
• The program displays the previous picture and the current picture with
the effect between it.
• Use the scroll on the right side of the window to select the transition and
• Use the arrows below the time display to migrate from picture to picture.
• Click "Save" and then "Close"
STEP 8: Add background music
• Click either the “Select Music” button or the “Create Music” button.
• The Select Button enables the user to select mp3 files created or
downloaded from a source outside of Photostory.
• The Create Music button enables the user to take advantage of the
onboard music of Photostory 3.
• Click on “Create Music” button.
• Select the genre, style, band, mood, tempo and intensity that suit your
• Play to preview the music, If you like it, click “OK”.
• The music will now load into the track.
• Set the volume so that the voice over recording can be heard.
• Music appears as a gold bar.
• You can delete the music by click on “Delete Music” button.
• When done, click “Next”.