1. M y research: Spatial SoundControl w ith the iOS device S1170144 Ryo K anno
2. A bstract In m y thesis, I describe the system for controlling“ Spatial sound ” w ith the iOS device. A sm artphone , likeiOS device, had a touch panel on it ’ s display, and canquantify the position w here w e touch as a com binationof x and y coordinates. Based on this quantifiedpositional inform ation, I aim to establish a new systemfor controlling spatial sound and enable iOS devices to bea new interface of virtual reality.
3. Spatial Sound Spatial sound is one of the im portant soundexpression in virtual reality, and has sam e m eaning of“ stereophony ” or “ 3D surround ” . It includes thesound of direction, range, yew , depth (near and far),elevation, and so on. In virtual reality, w e can enjoym ore realistic sound by com binating these featureseffectively.
4. Previous W ork Tw o years ago, a previous thesis, “ Spatial SoundControl w ith the Yam aha Tenori - on ” w as published.M y research succeeds and extends this, aim ing to allow the sound m ore sm oothly and freely m ovem ent around a space. Figure: Yam aha Tenori - on, the new type of m usical interface
5. Research A rchitecture Spatial Sound Control is realized via W i - Fi. The quantified positional inform ation is sent from iOS device to CV E server through the iOS - CV E bridge, and sent from CV E to control PC. ( iOS - CV E bridge is the program for helping com m unication betw een iOS and CV E server.)Finally, control PC changes spatial sound in realtim e based on received positionalInform ation.
6. Flow of Research 1 First, I create a application for getting positionalinform ation from touch panel. To achieve this, asource code of draw ing application w ill be leveraged.These application are w ritten by objective - C.
7. Flow of Research 2 Then, a com m unication system betw een iOS deviceand com puter is also needed. I leverage theCollaborative V irtual E nvironm ent (CV E ) server toconnect these device to each other. This system hasalm ost been com pleted in previous research (as I said,this program is called “ iOS - CV E bridge), so I use andextend it.
8. Flow of Research Finally, based on received positional information, I create a program for controlling spatial sound in realtime. A s a programm ing language, "Pure D ata", real-time graphical programm ing environm ent for m ultimedia is used.