1. + Social Media in 2013 Presented by Billi London-Gray Office of University Marketing
2. Live-Tweet our workshop! #txstsm+ @billilg NB: If your Tweets are protected, we won’t be able to see them on the #txstsm stream.
3. What’s on the agenda? What Are Social Media?+ Personal Use vs. Marketing Content and Platforms Best Practices Q&A
4. + n  Twitter Cheat Sheet n  Facebook Cheat SheetHandouts n  Helpful Websites n  Social Media Self-evaluation
5. +What AreSocial Media?Wikipedia says:“Social media” refers to the means ofinteractions among people in which theycreate, share, exchange and commenton contents among themselves in virtualcommunities and networks.
6. + n Communities n Networks n People with something in commonSo socialmedia …for…connect… n Creating n Sharing n Exchanging n Conversing
7. + What’s the big deal? n  7 billion earthlings n  2.4 billion Internet users n  6 billion own mobile phones n  1.3 billion use social media n  4.2 billion own a toothbrush n  1 in 5 online-minutes is spent using social networks
8. + What’s the big deal? n  Facebook: 1.2 billion users n  Twitter: 500 million users n  YouTube: 4 billion videos viewed per day
9. +Personal Usevs. MarketingIf you already use social media for yourself,what makes marketing for your program adifferent ballgame?
10. + Personal Use vs. Marketing n Personal n Marketing n WHO: friends n WHO: constituents n WHAT: personal n WHAT: theBRAND, stuff, opinions news, valuable info n GOAL: Share what n GOAL: Get them to you care about with think better of the people who care brand by sharing about you. info they care about.
11. + n Research. n Identify audience(s). n Design a strategy with measurable goals.Social Media n Be genuine and consistent.Marketing n Listen and learn from your audience. n Measure your progress. n Makeyour audience your advocates.
12. +Content andPlatforms What should you share? Which networks should you join? How do you decide?
13. + n  Multimedia n  Videos, photos and audio files n  Links n  Events n  Comments and quotes n  Polls and questionsContent: n  Short text or links n  Concise messagesWhat Will n  News headlinesYou Share? n  Longer text n  Calls for papers, assignments n  Examples of student work n  Q+A interviews n  Articles, profiles, news releases n  Photos (Good ones.) n  Videos (Short ones.)
14. + How To Find and Select Content n  What do you want your audience to see? n  What does your audience like to see? n  News related to your program n  Google News search n  Texas State homepage search n  SocialMention.com, Topsy.com, IceRocket.com n  Magazines, journals and news sites for your field n  Sharable content n  Photos, cool videos, quotes, trivia, memes n  Event invites/announcements n  Identity content n  What makes your audience identify as part of your program? n  What makes them proud to belong?
16. + How To Pick A Platform n Does your audience use it? n Does it fit your content? n Is it easy for you to navigate? n Doesit integrate with another platform (network) you’ll be using? n Does it have longevity (in Internet time)?
17. +Best Practices (Fake it ‘til you make it.)
18. + n  Update content daily. n  Fill out your profile completely. n  Choose a profile pic that will look good as a thumbnail. >>>>Do’s n  Proofread posts for typos. n  Remove spam and hateful comments. n  Measure your progress. n  Listen to your audience. n  Copy brands/users you like. n  ASK FOR HELP and keep learning.
19. + n  Don’t update sporadically. n  Don’t forget to put your website in your profile information. n  Don’t forget to give credit when sharing content (example: photos by followers). n  Don’t share questionable information.Don’ts n  Don’t argue with followers. n  Don’t stifle conversations. n  Don’t ignore criticism. n  Don’t abandon accounts if you no longer use them. n  Don’t forget to record login info where another admin can access it.
20. + Facebook Tips n  Have at least 2 admins. n  Customize page name, URL, tabs and cover photo. n  Use the Moderation Blocklist. n  Tag related FB pages in posts. n  Customize FB link-posts for maximum visual appeal. n  Change blue link title. n  Select best thumbnail. n  Change link description, and make sure it doesn’t cut off mid-sentence. n  Use the scheduling feature.
21. + Twitter Tips n  Choose a short handle. n  It can be changed later. n  Use TXST in handle, not TXSTATE, TEXASSTATE or TSU. n  RT, favorite and follow your followers. n  Shorten URLs. n  Twitter.com UI n  Bit.ly, TinyURL n  Use appropriate hashtags to gain visibility, esp. #TXST. n  Embed Tweets on your website. n  Schedule Tweets (using SMM).
22. + If you’re ready to up your game, here are a few tools that will help. n  Management Dashboards n  HootsuiteSMM: n  Tweetdeck n  SproutSocialSocial Media n  BufferManagement n  Monitoring Tools n  SocialBroand n  KloutMonitoring n  n  TweetReach PeerIndex n  TwentyFeet n  Tweroid n  SocialMention* n  IceRocket*