4. NARRATIVE POETRYTells a storyHas a plotCombines excitement of story with elements of poetry
5. STANZAAn arrangement ofa certain number oflines forming adivision of a poem.
6. FIGURATIVE LANGUAGESpeech or writingthat departs fromliteral meaning inorder to achievea special effect ormeaning,
7. SPEAKERThe narrativevoice in a poem
8. THINGS TO LOOK/LISTENFORCROSSING THE BORDER BY JOY HARJO/EXILE BY JULIAALVAREZWho is the speaker in each poem?Who are the characters?Where are the settings?What are the conflicts?What are the resolutions?
9. NARRATIVE POEMS FOR THIS LESSONCrossing the Border by Joy HarjoExile by Julia Alvarez
10. JOY HARJOBorn in Tulsa, OK in 1951.Member of the Muscogee (Creek) TribeProfessor at University of New Mexico
11. CROSSING THE BORDERTurn to page 139Read by Joy Harjohttp://www.tumblr. com/tagged/cross ing-the-border- into-canada
12. CANADIAN BORDER PATROL STATION
13. JULIA ALVAREZ Born in New York City, NY on March 25, 1950. Moved with her parents to the Dominican Republic at the age of 3 months. Left her home in the Dominican Republic in 1960 at the age of 10 years. Her father was involved in a plot to overthrow the dictator. The family had to flee from the Dominican Republic because they would be murdered otherwise. She was professor at Middlebury College in Vermont until she recently retired
14. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC• Ciudad Trojillo is now Santo Domingo• Dictator Rafael Trujillo renamed the city after himself in 1936.• Trujillo was assassinated on May 30, 1961.• The name of the city was changed back to Santo Domingo in 1961.