Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/australias-white-hot-smartphone-revolution-20110908-1jz3k.html#ixzz1dpThGyj3Develop for mobile first, desktop 2nd
Behind Singapore, Australia has the highest smartphone penetration in the world at 37 per centAustralians 65 per cent more likely than the British and 14 per cent more likely than Americans to conduct banking on our phones.Australians are also using their smartphones to find local businesses and a third of Australian smartphone users have made a web-based purchased after conducting a local search."These numbers show that Australia went from lagging to leading the worldwide smartphone revolution in just one year," Google said.4/5 don’t have a mobile optimized site.
1) Mobile is exploding Luke made this point in late 2009 and its even more true today given consumers insatiable appetite for all things smartphone and tablet. It's clear that mobile is well past the tipping point of consumer adoption, and has forever changed computing.2) Mobile forces you to focus While expanding screen resolutions and increased browser capabilities appeal to designers and developers, often the net result is a website that resembles an episode of Hoaders, with distracting content, unnecessary links, and an overall poor user experience. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Instead, Luke argues, the user experience should begin with the most important audience, the users. Designing for mobile first requires a minimalist, zen-list approach to design that focuses on the key tasks users hope to achieve.3) Mobile extends your capabilities Today's mobile browser goes well beyond the native capabilities of most desktop browsers. For example, iOS and Android devices provide real-time location information via integrated GPS. iOS Users swipe and touch instead of point and click. Newer Android devices support "Near Field Communication", providing news ways to connect mobile computing to the physical world, like sending payments or even replacing the traditional hotel key. Marketers have a massive opportunity to leverage mobile device capabilities to drive new levels of engagement.
What you want is more sales and what I want is to accomplish a task
9. Mobile Friendly￭ Content needs to be accessible with minimum number of￭ Experience ￭ Segment devices by screen size and features ￭ Optimize files and assets for the mobile web ￭ Leverage device capabilities (AJAX, HTML5, jQuery, video, click to call, geo-location)￭ Layout ￭ Take advantage of every pixel of real estate ￭ Single column layout ￭ Mobile templates to be elastic and not fixed
10. Mobile Friendly cont…￭ Design ￭ Similar theme on mobile version of site ￭ Site visitors can quickly move to the area that meets their needs￭ Development ￭ Use valid markup ￭ Option to switch between mobile and standard version of website
11. Mobile Friendly
12. The Four F’s of Mobile Maturity
13. What’s Mobile First? 1. Mobile is Exploding 2. Mobile Requires Focus 3. Mobile Extends your capabilities
14. Put Tasks First – not Content
15. Responsive web design￭ Uses HTML 5 + CSS3 ￭ Flexible Layout ￭ Flexible Images ￭ Media Queries
17. About EktronEmpower Marketers to Connect Content to RevenueProvide the most Empower marketers toscalable, extensible, .NET create contextuallyWCM platform for the relevant customerEnterprise experiencesDeliver a Create vibrant socialseamless, social, cross- communities forchannel shopping employees and customers.experience
18. Questions?Slides available on http://slideshare.net/ektron