An examination of some of the freely available tools and techniques, which can help in the task of building highly secure computer networks and systems.
* Increasing network visibility - e.g. Network intrusion detection, NetFlow
* Increasing host visibility - e.g. Host-based intrusion detection, Auditing tools
* Wireless network security monitoring
* Rigorous log file management
* Security information and event management (SIEM) options
The presentation was delivered at LinuxCon Europe 2013 in Edinburgh.