2. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines:
in·no·va·tion - noun ˌ
: a new idea, device, or method
: the act or process of introducing new ideas,
devices, or methods
3. But …. Innovation does NOT always
By definition, innovation is not limited to new devices or technology but can also
include new ideas and/or new methods
4. • So innovation in ELT or
EFL can be as simple as
finding new ways to
engage your students in
5. Or use new/
But using methods that engage the students in
ways they were not engaged in before.
Bloom’s Taxonomy - revised
6. • Or new technology introduced into the
7. • However, with today’s digital natives
innovation often does involve effectively using
technology in the classroom in ways that go
beyond simply watching youtube videos
Innovations class discussion – Ajarn Jintavee – Dec. 20, 2013.
8. • (not that there is anything wrong with using
youtube videos in the class when
9. Education, Consultation, Communication, Partnership,
Participation, Extension – It’s ALL Engagement.
Engagement theory – James W. Marcum, PhD.
10. Art, music, video, cartoons and other low tech tools can be used in new and innovative ways
to engage the students in learning of new language or improving their language skills.
Arda Arıkan, et al. (2010) Contextualizing young learners’ English lessons with cartoons: Focus
on grammar and vocabulary: Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 2, Issue 2,
11. It’s all about the students – not about the teaching.
12. High tech
or low tech
Empirical evidence observed over 16 years of teaching – David Bakewell.
13. Thank you for taking the time to watch this short presentation.
for Innovations in ELT class
@ Chulalongkorn University – Jan. 31, 2014