Work individually on the first 15 min. to write down the questions; work in pairs after to discuss strategies to locate answers Present to the group (depends on time)
1. Personal Project Workshop• Part 1 : Monday 14th May 2012 – Information needs • What do you know and don’t know about your topic – Information sources • Types of information
2. Investigating boxing as a sport for CIS Helping children at a hospital Testing the pollution on beaches around HK Creating & exploring human creation, ideas and inventions. Human Ingenuity Approaches to learning Different skills to learn, organize and communicate and reflect.Community & Service Helping and contributing Areas of Interaction Health & to others in the community Social education Looking after physical, social & emotional health of self & others Environment Showing responsibility for natural and man-made environments
3. Approaches to Learning Collaboration Communication Information literacy How do I learn best? Organization How do I know? Reflection How do I communicate my Thinking understanding? Transfer
5. Planning your ProjectLike a journey you need a map
6. The Research ProcessPlanning & developmentCollection of informationSelection of informationRecording of informationWorking on the productCreating and presentingBringing it all together
7. Planning your project Ask yourself What do I already know about my topic? Brainstorm and/or mindmap this. What is my key goal, my key questions and keywords? What format might my product take and who is my audience? What is my time line so that I can meet deadlines? Where could I possibly find information? Supervisor meeting
8. Finding Information What information do I need for my Personal Project? Print ? Places? People?
9. Collecting Information What information do I need for my Personal Project?Print?Places?People? Surveys? Interviews?
10. What information do you need? Coaching a team Organising an event Writing a short story Painting a portrait Designing a scrapbook Creating a music DVD Cleaning up the beach
11. Every PP involves researchWhat information do you need to make this PP a success? Coaching a younger childrens team
12. Every PP involves researchWhat information do you need to make this PP a success? Organising an event
13. Every PP involves researchWhat information do you need to make this PP a success? Writing short stories, poetry anthology, short film script
14. Every PP involves researchWhat information do you need to make this PP a success?Creating apiece ofartwork
15. Every PP involves researchMaking a scrapbook/magazineof an exchange trip to France.......
16. Every PP involves researchWhat information do you need to make this PP a success?Creating a musicDVD
17. Your own PP• What is your topic• What do you know about it?• What do you not know about it? • List out your KEY QUESTIONS• Comment on your partner’s key questions
18. Info resources and sourcesTypes of information Hard copy or digitalIdentify where to look for information Within the school Within your own community Within a broader communityHow many types of info do I need?
20. Sources of information2. Digital sources:• audiovisual materials• Internet • Websites, podcasts, emails ….• online databases • Collection of newspaper & magazine articles
21. Sources of information3. People• interview / questionnaire
22. Sources of information4. Site visits
23. Sources of information5. Courses, experiments etc.
24. Be S.M.A.R.T.Self interestManageableAOIResearchableTimely
25. Researchable = Information Rich Before you get started can you find information on your topic? CIS Library Hong Kong Public Library Online Encyclopaedias Online databases: newspapers & magazines Websites People & places
26. Prepare your own research plan• Goal• AOI• Plan • Things that you know about the topic • Things that you don’t know about • How to locate answers
27. My research planI need information about Where /How to locate thethe following: answer?1. What kind of style should 2.Art books that discussI choose for my art work ? different artistic styles / encyclopedia 3.Talk to art technician /2. What kind of paint to use? teacher / sales person in art supply store •Website (check Webpath express) •books (check library)
28. PREPARE YOUR RESEARCH PLAN NOW WORK IN PAIRS
29. Well done!
30. Keeping your Process JournalYour Supervisor will want to see yourProcess Journal every meeting.Your Process Journal is a practical notebook~ plans, draft ideas, diagrams, sketches.It doesnt have to be really neat.Include photos in your Process Journalto show work in progress.
31. Keeping your Process JournalSee Appendix examples ► Decide on your format ► Date all your entries. ► Each time you work on your Personal Project spend 5—10 minutes writing up what you have done. ► Write about the people you have consulted, the placesyou have visited and the resources you have used.► Highlight the ATL keywords used.
32. Keeping your Process JournalReflect honestly on how you think you are goingand how you are feeling about the process.Mention the challenges you face and yourplans to overcome them.Evaluate your progress ~ write aboutthe skills you have learnt.Include any queries or problems you wantto discuss with your Supervisor.