2. What is Ruby on Rails? The MVC Architecture REST Demos Learning Resources Questions
3. Ruby is a object-oriented and dynamic programming language Rails is a web development framework written in the Ruby language Open Source and Free Focused on developer productivity and getting the job done – fast!
4. 1. http://localhost:3000/projects/12. Routing finds Project Controller 13. Controller interacts with model Browser4. Controller invokes view Routing5. Render next browser screen 2 Project Project Controller Controller 5 3 4 Active Record Active Record Display Display Database Database Model Model Project View Project View
5. REpresentational State Transfer describes resources (in our case URLs) on which we can perform actions Create, Read, Update, Delete (CRUD)
6. HTTP verb URL controller action used forGET /projects Projects index display a list of all projects return an HTML form for creating a newGET /projects/new Projects new projectPOST /projects Projects create create a new projectGET /projects/1 Projects show display a specific projectGET /projects/1/edit Projects edit return an HTML form for editing a projectPUT /projects/1 Projects update update a specific projectDELETE /projects/1 Projects destroy delete a specific project
8. Keep up with the Trend Books – the theory Agile Web Development with Rails: from basic to intermediate The Rails Way: deep and broad Programming Ruby: good reference not for learning Ruby for Rails: most thorough and deep Ruby book. Not quite easy to read Books – learn from these others Practical Rails Project Rails Recipes, Advance Rails Recipes: can be used as reference to specific problems Building Dynamic Web 2.0 Websites with Ruby on Rails
9. Keep up with the Trend http://guides.rubyonrails.org http://railscasts.com/ - best free Ruby on Rails Screencasts github.com: when doing something, good idea to try to find on github. Large change is someone already done. Wiki/Google Group (global/per project)… Rails change so fast, need to get up-to-date Build your old resource and share to others