1. Film Techniques Revealed The seven steps to creating a DRAMA By Tom, Joe and Lilly
2. STEP 1• Create a dramatic structure.• The storyboard we are annotating has advised us to create a EXPOSITION follow by a COMPLICATION, then finally a RESOLUTION.• We have understood these three terms to mean EQUILIBRIUM, DISEQUILIBRIUM and NEW EQUILIBRIUM which is Todorov’s theory of the narrative structure.
3. STEP 2• Create characters with depth and purpose.• Create a character with depth and purpose.• We have thought about this a lot and this would apply to our initial idea of having the protagonist being the last man on earth and his purpose is to find the force who is controlling him. At this point in time this is only a rough idea though.
4. STEP 3 • Ensure your hero ACTIVELY influences what happens in the story. • We have interpreted this to mean that our protagonist must be the one to lead the audience through the narrative. We will be able to do this by including the protagonist in every stage of the narrative steps in Todorov’s equilibrium theory.
5. STEP 4• Create dynamic pivots• We believe this to mean that new events must happen, like the disequilibrium, to keep changing the direction of the narrative to entice the audience.
6. Step 5• Its more dramatic if you tell the story visually than verbally. Email Regarding sound• Yes we have taken this into account however after emailing Mr Plassket for advice ( an industry professional) he told us that sounds make a production. However we do understand the importance of visual effects.
7. STEP 6• Edit your scrip ruthlessly.• This more applies to when we get to the stage of storyboarding. We understand that we will encounter problems but the better our storyboard is planned the easier it will be for us as we will know exactly what we have to do. Planning is essential.
8. STEP 7• Cover all of these steps before shooting.• From past experience we know the worst thing you can do is jump straight into filming. Planning is key.• A well planned production will make the actually product the best it can possibly be.