▲ Introduction ▲
• The Great Pyramid of Giza (also
known as the Pyramid of Khufu or
the Pyramid of Cheops) is the
oldest and largest of the
three pyramids in the Giza
Necropolis bordering what is now
El Giza, Eqypt.
• The word pyramid is derived from
words PYRAMIS and PYRAMIDOS
. The meaning of the
word Pryamis is obscure and may
• It is the oldest of the Seven Wonders Of The Ancient
World, and the only one to remain largely intact.
• The pyramid remained the tallest man-made structure in
the world for over 3,800 years, unsurpassed until the
160-metre-tall spire of Lincoln Cathedral was completed
• Egyptologists believe that the pyramid was built as a
tomb for fourth dynasty Egyptian Pharaoh Khufu
(Cheops in Greek) over a 10 to 20-year period
concluding around 2560 BCE.
♛ Pharaoh Khufu ♛ Hemiun ( The Architect )
Khuf u's vi zi er, Hemi un, i s bel i eved by some t o
be t he archi t ect of t he Great Pyrami d.
• The Great Pyrami d of Gi za i ncl uded t he mai n
ent rance,chambers & pi t and t he grand gal l ery.
• There are t hree known chambers i nsi de t he Great
Pyrami d – Ki ng’s chamber, Queen’s chamber and
unf i ni shed chamber (The Subterranean Chamber and Pit).
The Entrance Of The
• The entrance is on the north
face. Just below it is the
entrance tunnelled in
antiquity. From the
corridor, an ascending
passageway leads to the
• The passage is supported by
a series of four single hollow
stones known as "girdle
• The Grand Gallery itself is an
architectural masterpiece. Its
ceiling consists of a corbel
vault with seven layers built
from enormous limestone
• Each block projects about
seven and a half centimetres,
dissipating the weight of the
monument and creating an
impressive visual effect.
The Subterranean Chamber
• The descending corridor cuts into
the bedrock for a distance of about
thirty meters under the base of the
pyramid, before turning into a
horizontal passageway which runs
for about nine meters. At the end
of this passageway there is an
unfinished niche and a rock cut
• The chamber was apparently
unfinished and the protective
blocks were never placed at the
entrance to the chamber.
The Queens Chamber
• About five meters from the end
of the grand gallery, there is a
step, before the passage slopes
downward a further sixty
centimeters to the floor level of
the Queens Chamber.
• The chamber itself is made
entirely of beautifully finished
limestone blocks with a gabled
ceiling. It sits on the twenty-fifth
course of masonry on the
pyramids east-west axis.
The Kings Chamber
• The room near the top of the Great Pyramid
is known as the Kings Chamber. Near the top
of the Grand Gallery, three pink granite
monoliths (which are still in place) form the
door to the Kings Chamber. The modern
entrance is located at the upper end of the
south wall of the Grand Gallery.
• It is a great feat of architecture as its flat
roof (composed of nine huge granite blocks)
supports over four hundred tons of
• In order to achieve this, the builders
constructed five relieving chambers. In the
four thousand years since their creation,
only one small crack has developed in the
ceiling slabs near the south wall.
• The entire project took about
23 years to
complete, 2,300,000 building
blocks, weighing an average
of 2.5 tons each (Although
some weigh as much as 16
tons) were used to build the
great pyramid. The length of
each side of the pyramid at
the base is 755 feet (230.4
m). They rise at an angle of
51 52′ to a
height, originally, of 481 feet
(147 m) but nowadays 451
feet (138 m).
• About 600 years ago, beautiful smooth blocks known as Casing
Stones covered the entire exterior of the pyramid, encasing the
whole structure, before the Arabs began to tear the stones off.
• It has been calculated that the original pyramid with its casing
stones would act like gigantic mirrors and reflect light so powerful
that it would be visible from the moon as a shining star on earth.
• Another pleasant discovery in the Great Pyramid is a spectacular
ancient cedar-wood boat, which was found sealed in a pit at the
base of the Great pyramid.
• This boat was interred in pieces and has since been reassembled,
restored and preserved in a climate controlled museum over the
site of the original pit.
• The name “Djedefre”, who was Khufu’s son and successor, is found
on some of the slabs of stone that sealed the pit, indicating that
probably the boat was put there by Khufu’s son.
One of the greatest world wonders.. from
one of the greatest civilizations...
It is the original Seven Wonders, only one,the Great Pyramid
of Giza, the oldest of the ancient wonders that still remains
• Learn about the culture, the mumia, the hieroglpyh and more about
• Because many people thought that it was built by aliens. How else
would humans thousands of years ago move each of those huge
chunks of rock that goes in the pyramid with no modern machinery
that exists today?
The History Channel. "Ancient Aliens"
•Because of their fame, Khufu and his pyramid
are object of several modern receptions, similar
to kings and queens such as Akhenaten, Nefertiti
•Khufu's historical figure appears in movies,
novels and documentations. Already in 1827,
female science fiction author Jane C. Loudon
wrote the novel The Mummy! A Tale of the 22nd
•It has been said that the Pyramid of Giza is
related to the Eqyptian Book Of The Dead and
• The southern shaft in the Kings Chamber reaches to the
outer surface of the Pyramid and is thought to be aligned
with the Orion´s belt.
• Orion was associated with Osiris, and was also the god of
the netherworld. The northern shaft aligns with Thuban, in
the constellation of Draco.
• Nowadays, Polaris marks our celestial north pole, but at the
time of the ancient pyramid builders the star closest to the
pole was Thuban.
• Thus it was of high astrological importance and considered
to be a symbol of immortality (as it never left the night sky).
• The Orion correlation theory (or Giza–Orion correlation theory) is a
hypothesis in pyramidology.
• Its central claim is that there is a correlation between the location of the
three largest pyramids of the Giza pyramid complex and the three middle
stars of the constellation Orion, and that this correlation was intended as
such by the builders of the pyramids.
• The stars of Orion were associated with Osiris, the sun-god of rebirth and
afterlife, by the ancient Egyptians.
•The Great Pyramid is located at the center of the land mass of
the earth. The east/west parallel that crosses the most land and
the north/south meridian that crosses the most land intersect in
two places on the earth, one in the ocean and the other at the
Great Pyramid (at the cross).
viral picture that purports to show Mercury, Venus and Saturn
aligned in a diagonal above three pyramids in Giza, Egypt.
August 21 2012 1:09 PM