2). What are the new trends in clothes / hairstyles this year?
Born January 8, 1935, in East Tupelo, Mississippi, Presley was the son of Gladys and Vernon Presley, a sewing machine operator and a truck driver. Elvis Presley was the first real rock and roll star. A white southerner who singing blues laced with country and country tinged with gospel, Presley brought together music from both sides of the color
line. Presley performed this music with a natural hip swiveling sexuality that made him a teen idol and a role model for generations of cool rebels.
Key points Words and expressions 1.fashion-wise 2. you name it 3.all in all 4. alternative 5. diverse 6. embody 7. exotic 8.flatter 9. inspire 10. transform 11. visual 12. trend 13.be/ have done with Back
Examples of the above key words and expressions:
1. fashion-wise : follow the new trend of fashion.
“ -wise” (with n s forming adj s and adv s): in the manner or direction of.
e.g. Turn the handle clockwise.
to walk crabwise.
2. You name it : (infml) every thing, place, etc you can name or think of.
e.g. She can make anything: chairs, tables, cupboards----you name it. Clothes, furniture, books ----you name it , they sell it! 3 . All in all : when every thing is considered . e.g. All in all , it was a lot of fun for everyone who went. His reaction to the doctor’s treatment was, all in all , satisfactory. He has his faults, but all in all he is a conscientious man. 4. Alternative: n. a chance to choose or decide between two or more possible things, courses or action.
e.g. You have the alternative of fighting or being taken prisoner.
I had no alternative but to walk out.
adj. That may be used , had, done instead of another; other
e.g. We returned by the alternative road.
Have you got an alternative suggestion?
5. Diverse : adj. of different kinds; varied
e.g. The wild life in Africa is extremely diverse .
People of Europe speak diverse languages.
The programme deals with subjects as diverse as pop music and ancient Greek drama.
return 6. Embodies: v. express or give visible form to (ideas, feelings, etc.); include or contain sth. The new model embodies the latest refinements. The testimony is embodied in the court record. 7. Exotic : introduced from another country, not native; striking or attractive because unusual. 奇异的；异国风情的 e.g. She travels to all kinds of exotic locations all over the world.
8. Flatter: v. to praise too much or insincerely in order to gain advantage; to make look better or more beautiful.
e.g. I guess he was just flattering me.
The newspaper wrote about his performance in very flattering terms.
The black dress flattered her figure.
9. Inspire sb.with sth / inspire sth in sb : fill sb. with thoughts, feelings or aims
e.g. His speech inspired us to try again.
You inspired me to greater efforts.
A fair and kind employer inspired loyalty.
10 . t ransform : v. completely change the appearance or character of sth./ sb.
e.g Water can transform a desert into a garden.
Fatherhood transformed him into a more responsible person.
11. Visual: adj. Connected with or used in seeing.
e.g. The animals’ visual organs are different from ours.
The visual arts include painting and dancing, as opposed to music.
12. Trend: n. general tendency or direction.
You seem to have set a new trend .
There has been a trend towards simpler styles in women’s dresses.
13. Be / have done with sth / sb. : no longer work at sth or be involved with sb/ sth.
e.g. Let’s spend another hour painting and then have done with it.
Have you done with the newspaper?
1 ． Designers seem to be at their most inventive and visually stunning when producing their spring collection:
Designers seem to have the greatest inspiration and are able to design extremely new and attractive styles when producing their spring collection.
2 ． This spring, bright, bold, eye-catching colors are your ticket to being the most fashionable gal :
This spring, clothes with very bright colors are essential things you need to make yourself the most fashionable girl .
3. All walks of designers went on an African odyssey this spring:
This spring , designers of different styles and from different places designed clothes of similar feature -----wild African style.
4 ． Also popular were sequins and metallic embroidery adding dazzle to basic T-shirts, vests, skirts and dresses and show-stopping glamour to eveningwear.
7 ． His noble example inspired the rest of us to greater efforts.
8 ． The country’s constitution embodies the ideals of freedom and equality.
9 ． Clothes, furniture, books ----you name it, they sell it !
10 ． He has his faults, but all in all he is a conscientious man.
I. Background Information
SOHO ： In i nformation technology, SOHO is a term for the small office or home office environment and business culture. A number of organizations, businesses, and publications now exist to support people who work or have businesses in this environment. The term "virtual office" is sometimes used as a synonym.
II. Comprehension of the Text
1. Many people are out of job and those who are having jobs have to accept what they are given .
2. It permits you to separate your personal life from business. You can leave your work where it is without the trouble of clean-up for other home activities.
.3.They drive America’s economic growth and have created most of the new jobs in the past 20 years.
4. By working at home they can balance between work and family. Moreover, they earn 28% more than the average office workers.
5. They can have more independence, more challenge and more results; they have the freedom to grow, experiment and learn.
6. It was at this point that her acting career really took off.
7. There is no meat, so we have to make do with bread.
8. It’ll be cheaper in the long run to use real leather because it will last longer.
9. Is there any necessity for another election?
10. The government has promised to take measures to help the unemployed.
Part Four Grammar-Centered Activities
1. He might do many good things for the people of the city － if he was elected.
2. Poor management , insufficient supply of raw material, and shortage of skilled workers － these were the main causes of the failure of the factory.
3.Three countries － Spain, Italy and Hungary － abstained.
4.He is teaching two courses ( Linguistics and Theoretical Grammar ) this semester.
5.Bai Juyi ( 772-846 )was a great poet of the Tang Dynasty.
6. His old problems － such as asthma and high blood pressure － are still worrying him.
7.People have a culture of hand-me –down furniture. It is passed on from grandmother to mother to you.
8.Nobody likes a hard - hearted man.
9.A PLO ( Palestinian Liberation Organization )delegation is to visit China next month.
10. Different as they were － in background and personality － these two great soldiers had much in common.
Part Five Writing-Centered Activities
Dear Sirs ，
We have received your letter of March 2 with thanks. As requested ， we are enclosing a fresh invoice for our services offered on August25 ， 2006 ， previously billed under our invoice No.829 ， which you could not find. Since the account is long overdue ， we would very much appreciate your prompt processing of payment on your side. Yours faithfully ，