Lecturer : Ms. Glynnis
“Trends in the new world of work
emphasize the importance of
“ Today’s employees must contribute to
improving productivity and profitability.”
“ Increasing global competition and
revolutionary technologies demand
cultural and communication skills.’
What is communication?
Definition : The transmission of
information and meaning from 1
individual or group to another.
Central objective : the transmission of
THE IMPORTANCE OF EXCELLENT
1. Flattened management hierarchies.
2. More participatory management.
3. Increased emphasis on self-directed work and
4. Heightened global competitions.
5. Innovative communication technologies
6. New work environments
7. Focus on information and knowledge as corporate
EXAMINING THE COMMUNICATION
The communication process has 5 steps :
1. Sender has an idea
The form of the idea maybe influenced by:
frame of refference
the context of information.
2. Sender encodes the idea in a message
encoding means converting the idea into words or
gestures that will comvey meaning
3. Message travels over a channel
the medium over which message is transmitted is channel
Message sent by :
May also sent by means of :
Anything that disrupts the transmission of a message
is called NOISE.
any disruption will causes errors and such errors damage the
credibility of the sender.
4. Receiver decodes message
the for whom the message is intended is the receiver
Translating the message from its symbol form into meaning involves
Success further limited because barriers and noise may disrupts the
5. Feedbacks travel to sender
The verbal and non verbal responses of the receiver create feedback