Famous Monasteries of Leh-
(courtsey: Ladakh tour packages from
• Established in 1065 by Lama
• Houses a school where children
are taught Hindi, Sanskrit and
• Sacred dances event of
Dosmochey is held here every
• Likir once used to be on the now
abandoned trade route.
• Features 75ft statue of Maiterya.
Diskit Gompa Monastery
• It is one of the most important
Gompas (monasteries) of Leh and
• Built in 14th
century on Shyok
• Located in the famous Nubra
• Famed for Festival of Scapegoat.
• Tibetan Support Group runs a
school for children here.
The Dome of Peace
• This white domed landmark of
Buddhism bears a splendid look.
• It was constructed with
cooperation of the Japanese
monks in 1991.
• Reliefs are made with varied
colors and depict life of Buddha.
• Prime destination of many a Leh
Ladakh tour packages.
Tsemo Gompa Monastery
• Construction of this monastery
dates back to the 15th
• Was built by the Namgyal king of
• Has a big idol of Maiterya which
is believed to be made in Gold.
• Manuscripts and frescos of
monastery are its historic
• Close to the Shanti Stupa.
Chemrey Gompa Monastery
• Believed to have been built in the
medieval times, in 1660s.
• It is important for having the
statue of Lord Padmasambhav,
the Buddhist monk who is
revered in this part of the world.
• Was dedicated to the Namgyal
• Built by Rinchen Zangpo, the
famous monastery builder of the
• Famous for the Mask Dance
which is held twice in a year.
• Famous tourist attraction for its
colorful dance festivals.
Hemis Monastery and the Mask Dance
• First constructed in the 11th
century, and more recently in
• Mask Dance performed here as
well. Draws tourists for its
colorful exhibition amidst
The Leh Palace
• Built by a Namgyal king in 17th
• 9 storey high, now in ruins.
• Leh Palace also has a museum.
• Thangkas, dresses and other
artefacts are kept here.
The Magnet Hill
Basically an optical illusion which
makes people believe that there
is a steep descend due to the
surroundings when, actually, the
slope gradient is gentle.
Located 30 kms from Leh, on the
Perched at 11000 feet above sea
Tso Moriri Lake
• This is a Wetland Conservation
• Changthang plateau springs and
snow melt feed its waters.
• Located in eastern Ladakh.
This is situated at a height of
about 14500 feet and is a
brackish water lake.
It lies in the region of Line of
Actual Control so an Inner Line
Permit is required to visit it.
The Prayer Flags
These flags are no ordinary pieces
of paper but hold the hopes of
the natives of Leh and Ladakh
that God will listen to their
These flags, like the monasteries,
bring out the spiritual side of the
lives of the people.
Ask your wish when you go there
and tie a flag !
Gurudwara Pather Sahib
There is a legend that the boulder
that was thrown from hill top on
the meditating Guru Nanak Dev
got melted into wax on touching
his back. The demon kicked the
molten boulder with his foot
which got stuck in it. Demon
apologized to the Guru for his
acts and became benevolent.
Finalise your Leh-Ladakh tour.
Check the packages here: