2. Introduction<br /><ul><li>The library I have chosen to renovate/innovate is a school library I worked in previously, the Rich Hill High School Library.
3. The Staff consisted of myself and one aide. I was available in the library approximately half of the day, while my aide was available the entire day.
4. The high school library served about 240 students.</li></li></ul><li>Four Areas to Renovate/Innovate<br /><ul><li>Student seating & workspace arrangement
5. Access to technology/wi-fi/power
6. Enhance the ambience with paint/artwork
7. Circulation Desk</li></li></ul><li>Goals in Each of the Four Areas<br />Student Seating & Workspace Goals<br /><ul><li>Replace the current rectangular tables with smaller, mobile square tables.
8. Add comfortable padded chairs
9. Create a soft zone – Add a small sofa and some comfortable chairs to relax in. A small coffee table in the center</li></ul>Technology / Wi – Fi / Power<br /><ul><li>Add an OPAC station and Laptop Cart
10. Make Wi-fi access available to students and teachers
11. Make power plugs available in the floor/tables in the seating and table areas.</li></ul>Ambiance / Visual Improvements<br /><ul><li>Paint the walls with attractive colors
12. Add artwork/posters/mobiles
13. Add plants</li></ul>Circulation Desk<br /><ul><li>Add a Circulation Desk</li></li></ul><li>How these Changes affect the Learning Center<br />Seating:<br /><ul><li>By replacing the long rectangular tables and chairs with smaller tables and more comfortable seating, the cafeteria-like feeling is removed and communication is improved by having the students sitting in a square.
14. By adding the soft zone with sofa and chairs, the students are given a relaxing space to enjoy some downtime.</li></ul>Technology/Wi-fi/Power:<br /><ul><li>Having computers available in the library is critical. Just because the computer lab adjoins the library, doesn’t make technology readily available.
15. Providing wifi access to students and teachers allows them to use their own laptops, increasing efficiency and user friendliness.
16. By adding power plugs in the floor to access the table and sofa areas, users can have access to keep their devices charged and at the ready.</li></li></ul><li>How these Changes affect the Learning Center<br />Ambiance/Visual Improvements<br /><ul><li>Replacing white walls with attractive, color coordinated tones is advantageous, because the glare is gone and color is mentally stimulating.
17. Adding posters/artwork and mobiles is visually and mentally stimulating. They can also promote relaxation and meditation. Yes, I used the word meditation.
18. The placement of plants and adding greenery instills nature on the inside and is also an air quality improvement.</li></ul>Circulation Desk<br /><ul><li>Instead of having two individual desks situated to simulate the circ desk, add a module that has a desk area as well as a standing height desk area to assist students. It always felt awkward, the students standing, me sitting. I would stand up anyway, I think eye level contact is important</li></li></ul><li>Synopsis:<br /><ul><li>By making these innovations and renovations the learning center is improved by becoming a more inviting place with comfortable seating and attractive surroundings.
19. By using mobile tables, the space can also be rearranged for larger groups/class settings.
20. The soft zone allows students to relax and unwind. </li></ul> <br /><ul><li>The increased technology and power allows students to have quick access to a computer even when the lab is in use and by adding wi-fi, the efficiency is increased even more.
21. The addition of a Circ desk creates a management zone, since there were no offices. It also improves the student/librarian communication flow.</li></li></ul><li>Original Library Floor Plan<br />Circulation Area<br />Copy Room/ Storage<br />Tall Stacks<br />Short Stacks<br />Computer Lab<br />Long Tables<br />Doors<br />Windows<br />