Traffika is a digital business generation firm helping high growth medium and large organisations optimise their business online.
Breaking down the barriers
It’s human nature when we shop that we want to feel reassured that we’re doing the right thing at the right time and in the right place.In the real world this is easy as we can ask our friends and be reassured Reviews – for Vodafone – the reviews tab was the most clicked tab once a shopper landed on the product page. Review readers were 40% more likely to start the checkout process.
Clearly defined costs to ensure shoppers won’t be surprised with any hidden charges later on And prominent display of added value benefits
Safety and security is still one of the biggest barriers for people transacting online. Its important that you reassure prospective customers that there transaction is conducted in a safe environmentThere are a number of recognised security services – VeriSign by Norton or DigiCert are two I’ve used in Australia
At Vodafone – on average, over 98% of shoppers left the site without purchasing. Yet by looking in our analytics – we could see that over 20% of shoppers actually got as far selecting a phone and a plan and adding them to their cart. So we looked at ways that we could encourage more people to checkout.Added functionality to save your cart and return at a later date (cart valid for 30 days). Since adding this functionality – 12% of shoppers who got as far as the cart page, chose to save their basket.All received an immediate email with a summary of what they were looking at – and a link to take them straight back to their cart – no matter from what device or browserSo that was great for the 12% of shoppers who chose to save their cart.But I wanted to encourage purchase and improve conversion from the other 88%. So we setup a system of email remarketing. Each morning anybody who added a product to their cart the previous day received an automated email offering them the ability to go back to their cart (even if they haven’t saved it) and continue their purchase. This also gave a great opportunity to promote other products and offers
The other thing analytics showed us is there was significant drop off at each of the 4 stages of the checkout process. Unfortunately there was no further streamlining we could do as all the fields shown were required due to credit checks etc.So we had to come up with another solution to help get more people through the process. That solution was our customer call centre. But people hate calling through and waiting on hold, or struggling to reach the right person or departmentSo we invested in a solution that enabled an instant call back, or a live chat. For the latter we experimented with user initiated chat and auto chat and find a trigger if someone has been on a page for over a pre determined time performed best. Soon after these functions were added, we saw conversions rates improve consistently by over 6%
One of our clients approached us with a need to significantly improve their online conversion rate. Small changes weren’t going to give the required uplifts so we had to take a more radical approachThrough analysing the customer behaviour and reviewing the site against over 40 known conversion triggers we identified 3 key pages that we felt could be improved to drive significant conversion rate improvements These were the product pages, the cart page and the checkout page.We developed a program of changes and then dealt with each page indepently. Always running an A/B test of the old page vs the new page to ensure we were making the right positive changes. To faciliate this we used Visual Website Optimiser though there are plenty of A/B test products available such as Google Experiments or Optimisely
Transcript of "13 Ways to Increase Online Conversion - Andrew Lane"