• Hokkaido is in the northeast and the home
of the island's capital city of Sapporo.
• Honshu is the largest island and the
Japanese core area which includes Tokyo
• Honshu is the world's seventh largest
• Shikoku and Kyushu are in the south
• Understand how Japan’s geography
inﬂuenced its early development.
• Describe the effects of Shinto religion on
the politics of Japan.
• Evaluate the effects of Chinese culture on
• Isolation- being separated from a group
• Shinto - a Japanese religion.
• All things natural have divine spirits.
The Islands of Japan
• Volcanic mountains pushing out of the sea.
• Four main islands.
• Very unstable part of the earth’s surface.
• 1,500 earthquakes every year.
• 60 of the island’s 150 volcanoes are
• Ocean provides food and transportation
• It has also isolated the island from other