2. MotivationSocial media is one of the major players in interactivemedia. Major social media outlets, such as Facebookand Twitter, are setting the standards for otheriterations and opening the door for niche markets.One of the new trends is “check-in” oriented sites.As part of the new trend of social TV, GetGlue usesthe “check-in” feature to link users to their chosenentertainment.
3. ObjectivesEvaluate difficulty of site usability. Power social media users v. Novice social media users “Check-in”, navigation, search bar, and “liking” Indirectly, live-updating newsfeed, reward system, recommendation systemEvaluate attitude towards site features. Likelihood of continued use Multi-tasking while consuming entertainment Effect of reward system
5. ParticipantsTotal Number: 8Segmentation: 4 power Avg. TV Hours Avg. Online Hours Avg. Social Media Hoursusers v. 4 novice usersSelection: selected based Power Users 3.5 3.0 5.75on a combination of TVwatching habits andsocial media prowess Novice Users 4.25 1.25 2.25
6. EnvironmentIntended for use while entertainment consumption isoccurring, whether online or in physical form.Testing website as it would be used on a homecomputer.Participants were tested in home-like environments. Individually tested Limited instructor involvment
7. ProcedurePre-survey Evaluate user’s social media use and TV watching habitsScripted tasks Log-in Navigation Check-in, Like, CommentPost-survey Evaluate user attitude towards site interface
8. Tools UsedSilverback Recorded users test using both screen capture and face captureGoogle Docs To survey user opinion and experience
9. Task list for participants1. Go to www.GetGlue.com2. Login to the website using the provided user name and password Username: eu2011user1 Password: eu2011user13. You want to learn more about the website. Look to the bottom of the page for the “About” button to learn more about the site. Click the button and proceed to the About Company page.4. Now that you have learned more about the site you want to “check-in” to a TV show you watch frequently, “The Deadliest Catch.” Please check-in to the show now.5. You are intrigued by GetGlue and want to continue using it. You also frequently watch “Glee”. Check-in to “Glee” and this time you leave the comment, “I love Rachel Berry!”6. After “Glee” airs you often watch “New Girl” so check-in to “New Girl” and then “like” “New Girl”.7. After you realize you can like TV shows you are interested in liking music, since this is your real passion. Find and like, “Muse”, “Usher”, “Madonna”, “Carrie Underwood”, and “Britney Spears”.8. Now that you are more familiar with the site go look for your favorite TV show and check-in. Be sure to leave a comment or like the TV show.9. Feel free to continue exploring GetGlue, when you are done Log Out and find your instructor.
10. Data AnalysisTask completion Timed each task Noted miss-clicks User expectation v. actual functionality Noted method of completion Search bar v. check-in barPower user v. Novice user Efficiency of task completion Attitude towards site purpose Attitude towards site use
13. ImplicationsAuto-refreshing stream – footer obstructionUniversal comfort with search bar vs. GetGlue’s“check-in” bar emphasisReward system feedback inefficiencyLogo-only navigation creates unmet expectations
14. Video omitted for uploadAuto-refreshing stream doesn’t allow for easy access to footer. • Suggestion: fixed footer or better upper navigation
15. Search bar is easily used by all users, whereas rest of site is directedtowards social media power users. • Suggestion: incorporate check-in into header and/or search bar function
16. Most participants did not notice and/or receive a sticker. Rewardsystem is not immediately impactful on user experience. • Suggestion: first check-in should earn first sticker and prompt user to reward system explanation
17. On logout many participants noticeably expected a hover dropdownmenu and became confused when expectations were not met. • Suggestion: logo navigations should be hover drop downs
18. Test SuggestionsUser comfort with computer. All tests were done on Macs but some participants were not mac users.A more controlled environment. Attempt at natural experience actually produced unrelated distractions.Test could benefit from making participants use the interface whileconsuming entertainment.There were errors and room for improvement with task instructions. Many users didn’t follow directions fully or completed tasks out of order. Some tasks were completed in an unexpected manner.
19. ConclusionSuccessfully proved that GetGlue’s Noviceinterface is directed towards social Power User Usermedia power users. Interestingly, novice users claim to Ease of use 3.25 3.75 watch more TV than power users (5 – very easy) and would therefore be a better target audience. Likely to use again 2.5 1.5While power users took less time (5 – very likely)to complete tasks, their attitudetowards the site was skewed by Overallunmet expectations leading them Experience 3.25 3.0to rate the site more difficult to (5 – very positive)use than novice users.