• The science fiction genre has been around for a while. It was around
during the “Silent Film” era.
• They were usually very short films that lasted about two minutes long.
• They mainly had a technological theme, and were generally included
• The science fiction film era lasted till about the 1930’s when dialogue and
sound was introduced. Until then many silent films with the science fiction
element were made.
• The first science fiction film from the silent film era was A Trip To The
Moon. This film was the first silent film to involve elements of science
1930’s – 1940’s
• Science fiction films from the 1930’s were the first to involve
• Many of the films that were made weren’t seen as being very
good such as the film Things To Come, due to this there were
very little science fiction films made during the 1930’s – 40’s.
• Instead many science fiction horror films were made due to
the success of films such as Frankenstein.
• Many science fiction films were made during this time period.
• Many of the science fiction films of the 50’s began to use the
elements of aliens and UFO’s, due to the sudden fascination with
• The Day The Earth Stood Still is one of the most famous science
fiction films from the 50’s and one of the first to use the themes of
• These films had large success in the 50’s directed mainly at a
• Due to the success of science fiction films in the 1950’s there were very
few in the 60’s, though these films helped to change science fiction
• The film 2001: A Space Odyssey influenced many later science fiction films.
• Also the 1968 film Planet of The Apes was incredibly popular, which lead
to the films four sequels being made.
• The 1960’s science fiction era is considered to have transformed the
science fiction genre.
• The science fiction genre made many films in the 1970’s in comparison to
the amount made in the 1960’s.
• The film Star Wars was made in the 1970’s and created a hugely popular
franchise including two sequels and three prequels.
• The film Alien was made also and had three sequels, this film also had
elements of the horror genre.
• The 1970’s had the theme of horror included much in their science fiction
• The film of the 1970’s Star Wars had great success which lead to two
sequels of the franchise being made in the 1980’s.
• It also lead to the Star Trek franchise expanding into film.
• The sequel to the 1970’s film Alien was released becoming the second film
in the series.
• Stephen Spielberg's film E.T. The Extra Terrestrial is one of the most
successful science fiction films of the 1980’s.
• During the 1980’s computer graphics and animation was widely being
used for science fiction films.
• Many science fiction films from the 1990’s involved some sort of internet
• CGI became more common for science fiction films during the 1990’s.
• Jurassic Park featured advances in computer technology, and the film also
• Computers became important to the science fiction genre, and many of
the films were made with computer animation involved.
• By the 2000’s the science fiction genre began to become less popular
though many science fiction films were made.