Boxes and an equation then I realized its PEOPLE---we are the system!
Forsyth County Only Indicators selected five years ago. Assess community indicators and initiatives. Collect and/or analyze original and secondary data. Enhance understanding of community conditions, trends, resources, and needs. Facilitate community conversations (via semi-annual report, website, convenings, white & green papers, INITIASCAPES). WHY INTIATIVES (INCLUDES SPECIFIC INITIATIVE AND ALL THOSE INVOLVED) THIS CONCEPT HAS MANY FORMS (ENTITIES OR INDIVIDUALS)
Currently, Initiascapes can only be done manually by using basic computer drawing programs and analyzing separate data spreadsheets. In the near future, the Initiascapes will be the result of integrating web-based data collection forms, relationship tree programming and graphic information systems design. Copyright of the concept is currently pending and software development will occur in spring-summer 2010.
ONE of many other projects in education, health, safety, community engagement…. 7 types/sources of provider list (e.g., NC Health Info, LME, CAROLINA BEHAVIORAL HEALTH, MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATION) We realize there are also other intertwined arena (Blind Hearing Services…) put in place. Place Time Limitations on Phases: 6-8 weeks Estimate costs/secure funding (from existing internal budget and/or external) Review/analysis: for-profit and non-profit entities’ websites available annual reports for costs, facilities and services data sets provided by interviewees or local agencies state data sets interviews EVERYTHING is put on Forsyth Futures website when completed (www.forsythfutures.org)
BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER EACH INTERVIEW IN MY OFFICE OR AT SOMEONE E
The purpose of behavioral/mental health system view is to: Ensure that the person in need or touched by the behavioral/mental health system is the focus (i.e., place in the center); Provide the context for the system that is impacting the individual and those providing assistance; 527 state and local entities representing:
Private and public funding intermediaries and service coordinators. For profit and non-profit providers. Higher Education. Public Education. State level facilities and practitioner licensing boards. Local government agencies with linked with state government agencies. Local and state advisory and advocacy groups. Demonstrate the connections between entities further beyond (impacts); and Increasing awareness/focus of system balance.
Gang Reduction Summit (9-15-10)
September 15, 2010
United Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church
Gang Reduction Summit
• Identify best practice models of gang prevention
• Inspire community collaboration between
organizations, initiatives and programs.
• Foster sustainable partnerships to effectively
deter gang activity within our community.
Visibility of Gangs in Forsyth County
• Sergeant Mike Weaver
Winston-Salem Police Department, Gang Unit
• Bill McClain
Site Director of Twin City East West Partnership
• Patrick Merrill
Drug and Gang Awareness Investigator of Winston-Salem
Forsyth County Schools
• Primary prevention focuses on the entire population at risk and the
identification of those conditions (personal, social, environmental)
that promote criminal behavior.
• Secondary prevention targets those individuals who have been
identified as being at greater risk of becoming delinquent.
• Intervention targets those individuals who are already involved in
criminal activity or who are gang members.
What is Forsyth Futures?
• Non-profit, community collaborative of
residents, organizations, and institutions.
• FORSYTH COUNTY, NC ONLY
• “People’s Institute”
• Unique: NOT UNIVERSITY- OR
• Financially supported by top 40 entities in
community (grants, contributions, in-kind
• Lead, support or monitor indicators &
Community Indicator Projects
• Goal: Catalyst for Community
Change or Sustaining the “good”
• View the WHOLE community as
• Need to measure…Indicator(s)
1. How are we doing?
2. Where are we on some measure X?
3. Where do we want to be?
4. How long before we get there?
5. Are our efforts making a difference?
Initiascape=Initiative + Landscape
• Expand the concept of indicator “data” and
analyses to include the scope of
• Visual and descriptive representations
• Document and depict the connections
between a community’s initiatives toward
a common goal or indicator
• Specific point-in-time
What Forsyth Futures does…
• Tie to indicator(s) (scope of an issue)
• Study the “best practices" models
• Study the scope of our solutions
• Each Initiascape is conceptualized as a Project
• Project management system/phases put in
• Initiascapes are designed for user access
to data layers relevant to an
• Layers can be, but are not limited to,
– target audiences/clients,
– levels/types of services,
– costs, funding sources, and
– personnel allocations.
What we look for….
• Links to other Community Entities
• Funding (types and dollar amounts)
• Administrative Structure
• Target Audience
• Current/Planned Initiatives/Activities
• Data Generated
• Data Needs/Interest
What our community uses this for..
1. Policy design
2. Program design
3. Resource allocation
4. Grant applications
5. Program evaluation
• Differentiate further the available data by
population (e.g., gender, ethnicity/race,
age, diagnosis, area of residence, and
types of service providers).
• Create opportunities to gather or create
more specific local data sets.
• Continue to pursue local data sets not
complete enough for the current
• Initiate an analysis of related/new
• Obtain and compare actual funding data
(dollar amounts) from all entities in the
Initiascape map; trace governmental
• Update the relevant Initiascape after this
Continue Building the
Making Progress Report
Doris Páez, Ph.D., Associate
601 N. Cherry Street, Suite 250
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
(336) 724-2831 EXT 16
• Commitment to Collaboration Cards
• Create an Initiascape at your table
• Tell ‘The Story Behind the Line’
Solomon Quick, Gang Reduction Specialist, WSPD
Alvin Atkinson, Executive Director
The Center for Community Safety
Kismet Loftin-Bell, Consultant
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.