1. Top Draw • Online advertising agency since 1995 • Make websites that connect our clients with their customers • Right place. Right time. Online.
2. Agenda: Internet Marketing • Why Internet Marketing? • Practical applications for everyday business • Overview: • Search SEO/PPC • Local • Mobile • Analytics: Metrics that matter • Actionable takeaways
3. Why Internet Marketing? • Top of Search = Top of Mind • Sales, Leads, Info, Credibility • 30 trillion URLs (pages) crawls 20 billion pages a day. • 3B+ million searches/day (Google Only) • 1.8 million first-time internet users/week • 92% of all offline sales are a result of online research
4. Practical Examples
5. Capitalize on Sales & Leads: Search • Imagine: • You own a gas station • You’d like to add a car wash for extra recurring revenue. • You don’t know anyone in construction.
6. Calls to action… Website Lead Gen Forms
7. Calls to action… Phone Calls
8. 58 searches/month in Canada~42% of clicks~12% of clicks~8% of clicks~6% of clicks
9. Using Search: Cormode.com • Delivers a 1+ quality lead/day for: • Car wash construction 100+ other key phrases • Web leads convert higher • AND…67 resumes per month. “In one month alone, we closed five sales that we can directly attribute to our website. These sales contributed significantly to our bottom line.” — Ben Elzen, President Cormode & Dickson
10. Using Search: LJWelding.com• Provides welding and pipe handling equipment • Built a high performance website to tap into online demand.• Over 4 years, the website has driven over 5X increase in revenue. “At the end of the day, we view this as the single best marketing investment we could have made. It’s been transformational for our business, turning us from a local player into a company with global sales.” - Ryan Holt, General Manager LJ Welding & Machine
11. Right Place. Right Time. Online.
12. Practical Applications: Sales & Leads • People are looking for what you sell everyday. • Searches per month in Canada: • ERP consultant 28 • Transportation logistics company 16 • Canadian life insurance companies 260 • Prefab steel buildings Canada 36 • Law firms in Edmonton 58 • Machine shop Edmonton 46 • Donate to charitable organization 16 • Edmonton downtown restaurants 590
13. Keyword Research
14. Keyword Research“Informed decision-making comes from a longtradition of guessing and then blaming others forinadequate results.” - Scott Adams Author of Dilbert Cartoons
15. Effective Keyword Research ROI & Opportunity How do your customersdescribe/research our product or service?
16. Keywords that deliver ROI should be: • Relevant to your business/page of content • Search frequently • Obtainable for your site to rank on • Competitive Research: PageRank, Domain Authority, number & strength of competitors • Tip: 3+ word phrases: = Conversion Competition
18. • Language your customer is speaking• Phrases for SEO/PPC• Services/products to sell• Blog content• Social media ammo• Opportunity/Gap in market
19. Other Keyword Research Tools: • Soovle.com • WordTracker.com • Trellian’s KeywordDiscovery.com • Google Trends • Google Suggest • Keywords within Analytics!! • Segment organic & PPC phrases
22. PPC (Pay-Per-Click) Adwords.google.com
23. Paid Listings20%Natural/OrganicListings 80%
24. On-Page “SEO”
25. Effective SEO Includes: • Keyword research • Proper site structure & architecture • Proper keyword inclusion • Fresh & unique content • Authoritative & industry related links • Social media integration • Measuring, monitoring & testing
26. On Page Keyword Inclusion • Page title tags • Site navigation NOT • Body copy Keyword • META descriptions Stuffing! • Headlines (H1, H2) • ALT attributes for images • URL structure • Internal (anchor text) links
27. Title Tag Meta Navigation Description HeadlineALT Text Body Copy
28. Title Tag Meta Description
30. Capitalize on Sales & Leads: Local • B2C example: no location referenced in phrase
31. Capitalize on Sales & Leads: Local • B2B example: no location referenced in phrase
32. Claim Your Google+ Business Listing
35. Mobile, my the times have changed…
36. Capitalize on Sales & Leads: Mobile • Imagine: • You’re working on an oil rig • You’ve had some equipment fail on you and need new parts. • Your traditional supplier is back-ordered 3 months.
37. Capitalize on Sales & Leads: Mobile • “Oilfield equipment” and other variations are searched 91 times per month in Canada on mobile devices. • “Oilfield jobs” are searched 880 times per month on mobile devices.
38. Capitalize on Sales & Leads: Mobile & Local“We attribute 15%of all new businessfrom search, mobileand local traffic.”- Karen Bodoano, General Manager
39. Overview Capitalize on Sales & Leads: Mobile • Smartphone sales are expected to exceed laptop & desktop computer sales combined in 2012. • From 18 typical Canadian companies, we saw an average of 442% growth in mobile users year over year. • In 2012 Canadian companies can expect ~1/3 of their website users to be using mobile devices.
40. For more industry mobile usage charts, see www.topdraw.com/mobile
41. Mobile Sites
42. Like it or not… THIS IS THE WEB Does your website lookgood on a mobile device? A 1/3 of your users is significant!
43. Websites that work on everything!Yes, it’s possible.
44. Options for going Mobile? 1) Do nothing 2) Use a plug-in 3) Responsive Design 4) Separate desktop and mobile websites For direction on what mobile solution might work, check out www.topdraw.com/mobile
45. Social Media
46. Social Media
47. Facebook • Crazy guys I went to high school with • Right wing aunts • Left wing cousins • Pictures of my kids
48. Twitter • Internet Enthusiasts • Journalists • Media people
49. LinkedIn • Business owners, sales, marketing folks. • Can track contacts through job changes • Provides work contact info in a snap.
50. LinkedIn 1. Create your account today! 2. Add in people you’ve had business contact with.
51. Knowem www.knowem.com • Search over 340 popular social media networks to instantly secure your brand across the social web.
52. EO Member Social Media Use
53. Metrics that matter! • Can you measure online marketing? • Yes, but which campaign worked the best • What are metrics that really matter? • Leads, phone calls, resumes, site visits
55. Reports Confusing?
56. Metrics that Matter = Real ROI
57. 4 Things To Do on Monday 1. Search: Does your website generate leads/sales? • Do you rank on key phrases for your services/products? • Do you have metrics that matter? 2. Social: Claim all your social media brands • www.Knowem.com
58. 4 Things To Do on Monday 3. Local: Claim your local listing • http://www.google.com/places/ 4. Mobile: View your site on your mobile phone • Can you click the links, easy to read, contact info? • www.howtogomo.com
59. Thank You! Questions? Ken Jurina President & CEO Top Draw Inc. email@example.com @kenjurina Download the presentation: www.topdraw.com/presentations