Web Environment Components e BUSINESS Information eCommerce Database Forms CAPABILITY Portfolio Skills Projects Availability SOCIAL NETWORKING Dynamic Relevant Interesting Interactive Multimedia
A personal web environment usually has two components. A capability component , usually a 'static' portfolio web site that showcases skills and A social networking component usually a dynamic blog site that showcases current activities and research. Social Networking Is the interaction between a group of people who share a common interest
More progressive companies are creating web environments to stimulate discussion and community around their brand, products and services, and are harvesting invaluable customer insight as a result. A company website that is a simply an online product brochure is a wasted opportunity.
In addition to demonstrating your knowledge this component can also demonstrate your high level written, oral and graphic communication skills in imparting this knowledge. The aim of the social networking component is to achieve name recognition in your field by sharing the results of your ongoing research of developments and trends with your peers and clients.
Scenario You have recently been employed by a company specializing in graphics design and animation. The company has a policy that requires its staff to develop and maintain a social networking (blog) site that demonstrates their activities and knowledge of developments and trends in the media industry.
1. Why is the project being undertaken? To promote your skills, knowledge and current research to the company’s clients. This will not be a portfolio of your work, it is about your current activities and your awareness of emerging graphics and animation technologies and developments. The primary aim of your blog is for you to gain recognition as valuable source of information in the fields of graphic design and animation. The success of your blog will be measured by visits, comments, email subscriptions and its cross links to other web sites.
2. What is required of the project? A dynamic blog site that is a showcase for your current activities and information that you obtain on developments and trends in the digital media industry that you believe will be of interest to your blog’s readers. For example: articles you review, software products you evaluate, projects you create, comments on developments, recommendations for products, web sites you recommend, photos of places you visit, etc.
3. Who is involved in the project? You will design, develop and maintain your blog site.
4. When is the project to start and finish? Your employer wishes you to commence this project immediately and to maintain (update) your blog site as part of your conditions of employment.
5. Where is the project to be carried out? The project will be carried out using your own facilities and the facilities of Randwick College.
6. How is the project to be carried out? i) Choose a company specializing in the design and development of computer graphics and animation as your hypothetical employer. ii) Select a web service for your blog development and hosting. Either blogger.com or wordpress.com iii) Complete an analysis of our target audience. iv) Add an interesting profile to your blog and create an innovative blog banner. v) Embed a number of interesting and relevant widgets in your blog. vi) Start your blog with a review of a software product that you recommend. vii) Your employer (Tony) will advise you about future additions to your web environment e.g. screencasts, podcasts, videocasts, comics, etc.