Twitter: one of the mostpopular social networking services-communicate with people-a tool to study.How:1.Twitter can help languagestudents improve their skills2. to make manyconnections with other learners-~very easy to keep up with the everydayconversation.
In Japan:1. many Japanese usersuse Twitter to improve their English2. Twitter as a tool to practiceEnglish
1. Examine and analyze howJapanese EFL learners use Twitter to studyEnglish.2. It will be focused on theformat of tweets, content of tweets, and thetweeting behavior
1. English Education in Japan - Compulsory for all students from middle school - Not many Japanese can actually communicate in English-lecture style class-one-sided communication style in classrooms-input > output
1. Meijin Era – English education was started.( read & write)2. 1989-oral communication lesson English language syllabus in senior high schools3.1997- official slogan: “globalization, cultural difference, international understanding”2002- English is a just a subject for university
Japanese students:- lose their interests toward studying as they get older - University students- in traveling and communication with people from English speaking countries-not strong desire to learn English External influence : Chinese students:-English as a tool to get a job and a high salary-more motivated to study English than Japanesestudents
Boyd and Ellison(2007) suggested that there are mainly threekey functions of SNS:1. they allow individuals to 1) Construct a public or semi-public profilewithin a bounded system 2) they share a connection 3) View and traverse their list of connections and those made by others within the system”
-social networking systems createnew opportunities for teaching and learning. - They are participatory, authentic, immediate, to engage the community
1. a free online service2. within 140 letters3. share with people all over the world.4. As a tool to practice English- to improve language sills, with reading native speakers’ English’s tweets5. To get not only language and linguistic skills but also improve cross-cultural understanding
Students can develop cultural awareness through communication with native speakers. By Nakashima(2011)- students are allowed to ask to use twitter and post anything in English : it affect students’ grades – English everyday use and conducting a monologue in English has possibilities to help them improve their English.
1. the systemof Twitter is close to that of the brain2. The users are connectedwith lots of people makes users motivated. - Having a connection with native speakers of English3. 140 letters makes it easier for users to readother users’ tweets or post a tweet themselves
4. Visual medium – -to look back to what they have written -the user notices how much he/she has improved“Twitter で英語をつぶやいてみる” , the author Mayumi Ishiharasuggests learners to use the hash tagTwitter as a Tool for Language Learning
It means that tweeting in English.Using this hash tag, users with the sameintention or goals are able to meet and have a chatin English. Affective emotion to find a place to actually use English in daily life. it does not need to be long, and that lessens the obstacles such as the fear of making grammar errors or not having enough time to spend writing a blog or a diary every day.
In this book, there are mainly six different categories to tweet,which are,1) Greetings2) Thanks and Sorry3) Feelings and Intention4) My day,5) Questions and Suggestions6) Things around me.
It points out that the greatest benefit of using Twitter isthat it’s free and that learners are able to connect withnative speakers and even maybe an EFL teacher. . It suggests ways to interact, such as 1) to favor, 2) laugh, 3)to be happy, 4)be surprised, 5) admire, 6) praise, 7) agree, 8) envy, 9) thank, 10)negative comment, 11) retweet with comments, and 12) comment after seeing a picture or watching a clip - Four big topics – to talk to someone -- To tell people what you are up to --- something you are interested in