CDBs provide all enlisted Sailors the opportunity for optimal development of their professional skills, both military and technical, thereby enhancing unit readiness, individual upward mobility, job satisfaction and ultimately the retention of the best qualified Sailors. In accordance with the enlisted retention and career development instruction, OPNAVINST 1040.11C, CDBs are required for all Sailors upon reporting to a command, after six months on board, at 12 months on board and at 12-month intervals thereafter. By conducting these boards on schedule, the Sailor's career desires are recorded in CIMS and become part of a permanent record that can follow the Sailor throughout their career.
Typical topics covered during a board include watch-standing qualifications, continued education goals, advancement, short and long-term career objectives, Perform-to-Serve and Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery scores. Leadership can use CDBs to learn the priorities of the Sailor. CIMS is available to all shore commands with Internet access and on board 150 ships using CIMS Afloat on the Navy Standard Integrated Personnel System server. The primary function of CIMS is to assist career counselors with tracking, conducting and documenting CDBs. The command master chief, chief of the boat, senior enlisted leader and the command career counselor team are the focal points for career development initiatives within the command.
1. MSC Career Counselor Crash Courses http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/CAREER/CAREERCOUNSELING/Pages/CDB.aspx NCC(AW/SW/SCW) AstroSlides are effective as of December 2012. Visit www.facebook.com/careerwise to get the updated slides.
2. CDBs are the primarydelivery method to ensureSailors are provided theguidance necessary tomake informed careerdecisions based oncurrent Navypolicies, programs, andprocedures.
3. Individual Career Development PlanRATE/NAME INDIVIDUAL CAREER DEVELOPMENT PLAN DE DATE RPTD ADSD EAOS E1-E3 P/ PRD Command: ______________________________________ DI V CAREER DEVELOPMENT PLAN REPORTING 6 AS 12 AS 24 AS 36 TRX/SEP M REQ’D MTH REQ’D MT REQ’D MTH TH HADVANCEMENT/QUALIFICATIONSWindow of Adv E2-E4 E2/ E3/ E4/Date of Advancement E2/ E3/Requirements for Adv to P03 Completed BMR MILR Target date of completion: EQSRequirement/shipboard PQS DC 3M WatchesWarfare Qualifications Start Date Target Date Completion date EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIESCurrent Education Status (RTM)Current Education Status (PACE/Off-duty) Credits completed:High School Diploma/GED Target date of completion:Degree ProgramsOther Courses Completed: USMAP ENROLLED: YES _____ NO ______ FINANCIAL PLANNINGIndividual/Family BudgetingCheckbook/Investments/TSP PHYSICAL FITNESS REQUIREMENTS Physical Fitness Goals/Personal Health Assessment Personal Goals Set: CAREER INTENTIONSReenlistment Intentions/PTSSpecial Program InterestCareer Path/Team Detailing 13 Month - 9 Month - 6 Month - TRANSITIONReverse Sponsorship Program Orders received: Member notified: Date SAA submitted:Welcome Aboard Program Package Rec’d: Sponsor Assigned: Sponsor’s Name: Remarks:Individual Transition Plan and DD 2648 18Mth 6Mth Scheduled TAP dtd:SeparatingPhysical ScreeningFamily Relocation Assistance
4. CAREER INTENTIONS• Reenlistment Intentions/PTS• Special Program Interest• Career Path/Team Detailing TRANSITION• Reverse Sponsorship Program• Welcome Aboard Program• Individual Transition Plan and DD 2648• Separating• Physical Screening• Family Relocation Assistance
5. 15-30 minutesPERFORM TO SERVE• Window: 15 month prior to EAOS• 2nd to 5th Denial• Conversion• Final DenialADVANCEMENT/QUALIFICATIONS• Window of Adv E2-E4• Date of Advancement• Requirements for Adv to P03 Completed• Requirement/shipboard PQS• Warfare Qualifications
6. SPECIAL & EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES•STA-21 and other Commissioning•Current Education Status (RTM / NCPACE/Off-duty)•Degree ProgramsFINANCIAL PLANNING•Individual/Family Budgeting•Checkbook/Investments/TSPPHYSICAL FITNESS REQUIREMENTS•Physical Fitness Goals/Personal Health Assessment
7. What Else Should Come out of CDBs• Member’s Short Term Goals:• Member’s Long Term Goals:• BOARD RECOMMENDATION/COMMENTS:
8. http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/CAREER/CAREERCOUNSELING/Pages/CDB.aspxOpen Discussion. Questions?Further questions may also be posted and answered at www.facebook.com/careerwise