What I Did on my
New Hope Middle School
• Global Academic Essentials Teacher Institute
• Took place from 1 June – 30 June at Mississippi State
• Hosted by the Department of Instructional Systems and
• Focused on Common Core, Technology, 21st Century Skills
Common Core: Myths vs. Reality
• NOT a Federal Government takeover.
• A collaboration of state-level administrators, education
professionals and business leaders.
• NOT “extra curriculum benchmarks.”
• More like a method to teach the state benchmarks.
• NOT “re-inventing the wheel.”
• Shifting the focus to skill-development, critical thinking and
literacy … (NOT “reading”).
21st Century Skills
• Critical thinking, logical reasoning: “How do you/we/they
• Using and evaluating evidence: “All opinions are not created
• Problem-solving: “Using your tools.”
• Inter-disciplinary collaboration: The purpose of PLC’s
• “Flipping the classroom” Shifting the focus from teacher-
driven instruction to student-driven learning.
• Using available technologies to:
MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER!!!
• Canvas: A course management platform that is often used in
online coursework and to augment face-to-face classes.
Great for testing, quizzes, and all those handouts!
• Teacher Kit: An app for help in attendance, behavior,
interventions, all the paperwork in app form!
• Remind: Send text reminders to students or parents
WITHOUT DIRECT CONTACT between you and the recipient.
Totally safe, legal and completely transparent.
Assessments and assignments
• Polleverywhere: Great site for students to text in answers (or
use the website) for formative assessments ANONYMOUSLY.
• Bubbl: Make your own (or have your students make their
own) flow charts and graphic organizers.
• Create WebQuest: As the name implies, you can create
webquests for your students. Simple or elaborate as you like!
Safe and Educational Activities
• Kids.gov: Subject-specific video flash games. “Stealth
• Geoguessr: Drops them off (virtually) in the middle of
nowhere and let them guess where they are!
• Duolingo: Learn Spanish, French. German, Portuguese or
Italian using an app-based game.
• Free Email
• Make and store documents, powerpoints, and spreadsheets!
• Shorten URLs for easy copy and pasting
• Find scholarly articles
• Geography (Maps and Google Earth)
• And coming soon: Google Classroom