1. USHC 2.2Explain how the Monroe Doctrineand the concept of ManifestDestiny affected the United States’ Color Palette by: despiserelationships with foreign powers,including the role of the UnitedStates in the Texan Revolution andthe Mexican War.
2. Manifest Destiny John Gast, American Progress, 1872
4. Occupation of Mexico City WIN Painting by Carl Nebel
5. The “Bear Flag” Republic June 14-July 9, 1846
6. Mexican Cession 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
7. Gadsden Purchase 1853 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
8. A Continuing Controversy... A short video on this subject…
9. Now What???
10. David Wilmot (D – PA)
11. Zachary Taylor(W-LA)Twelfth President of the U.S.1849-1850 “Old Rough and Ready” Mexican War Hero Died in Office Last Southerner elected president until Woodrow Wilson in 1912 http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/zt12.html
12. Millard Fillmore(W-NY)Thirteenth President of the U.S.1850-1853 Signed the Compromise of 1850 Last Whig President http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/mf13.htm
13. For the North: 1.For the South: 2. STRONGER Fugitive Slave LawThe New Mexico Territory: 3. Popular Sovereignty in Mexican Cession 4. Federal assumption of Texas debt / Texas cedes western land to NM TerritorySlavery in Washington, DC: 5. Abolish Slave Trade in Washington, D.C.
14. Sen. Stephen A. Douglas (D-IL)Designed the Compromise although Clay took creditBig BillSeparate Bills Each with different majorities to pass Lincoln-Douglas Debate Memorial