Final Exam: TSEA Per. 7
Dec. 11. 2009
Can You Believe It?
“Within the next 30 years as many
as half of the species on the earth
could die in one of the fastest
mass extinctions in the planet’s
4.5 billion year history.”
Why does it happen?
• 98% of Indonesian rainforests will be gone in
only 15 years by palm oil tree plantations
• Illegal wildlife trade causes animal extinction
Now 51 endangered animals in Indonesia.
Is Indonesian Government Doing
Enough to Prevent Animal Extinction?
☆Indonesian has laws to prevent animal
☆Indonesian government is not doing
☆Therefore, animal extinction is difficult to
bring to an end.
Indonesian Government seems to be
doing enough! (Refute)
• Passed laws to prevent deforestation.
• People have to get concession licenses from the
government to log.
• government sends a message in a high-level political
statement against logging violations.
For Wildlife Trade
• Police red-handed arrested four tiger pelt traders and
even suspect too, doing their transactions in Jambi
• Law No. 5: 5 years in jail and paying Rp 100
Indonesian Government is not doing
• Government allows deforestation!!
• palm oil plantations as industrialization develops
in Sumatra and Borneo.
• people have to burn trees to plant the palm oil
Destroying the most important habitat of animals
• Government is not stopping illegal wildlife
• People keep capturing endangered animals
for the pet trade.
• Weak law enforcement.
• Indonesian government
does not arrest people
who are doing illegal
wildlife trade immediately.
• The illegal trade is pushing rare animals to
Loss of Biodiversity!!
• Biodiversity is the variety of species and their
• Cause: habitat loss and destruction of the
rain forest areas.
Destruction of ecosystem.
• Indonesian government is not doing enough
to prevent animal extinction!!
• Allowing deforestation (palm oil plantation)
• Not banning illegal wildlife trade.
• Destruction of animals’ habitats
• Deterioration of biodiversity.
Deforestation and wildlife trade is like
cancer on “lungs of Southeast Asia”…
• Making new palm oil plantations on waste
land that nobody wants by using
• Enforcing laws strictly about illegal wildlife