So What is Social Media?
Social media is content created by
people using highly accessible and
scalable publishing technologies. ...
A category of sites that is based on user
participation and user-generated content. They
include social networking sites like Twitter, LinkedIn
or Facebook, social bookmarking sites like
Del.icio.us, social news sites like Digg or Reddit, and
other sites that are centered on user interaction.
What is Twitter?
Twitter is a social network comprised of short updates, or tweets
You post tweets for your followers to read
Your followers post tweets for you to read
Platform for the web or your mobile device
– A Network about Everything
So, what’s your social
something - we’ll
How to Engage in SM?
• Connect to your Audience
• Ask Questions that Invite Discussion
• Be transparent
• Be yourself
• Don’t pretend
• Know your followers; keep in touch with them…
• Highlight content generated by your followers
The Conversation is key
• Remember Social Media is a 2 WAY Conversation
• BUT - It’s not IM It’s not Texting This is KEY!!
• People may not respond immediately
• People can not see your facial expressions
• Social Media in many
ways is like e-mail
and can be abused
• THAT’S NOT WHAT
The Power of Social Media
• Who remembers this picture?
• Flight 1549
• Hudson River
• Twitter had
the Scoop 1st
• NOT CNN, FOX
Janis Krums who Twittered it from
his iPhone, and posted via TwitPic.