Andrew Goodwin identified 7 key ideas that we should look for to identify: Music videos demonstrate genre characteristics (e.g. stage performance in metal video, dance routine for boy/ girl band.) There is a relationship between lyrics and visuals. (Either illustrative, amplifying and contradicting.) There is a relationship between music and visuals. (Either illustrative, amplifying and contradicting.) The demands of the record label will include the need for lots of close ups of the artist and the artist may develop motifs which recur across their work ( a visual style.) There is frequently reference to notion o looking (screens within screen, telescopes, etc. ) and particularly voyeuristic (sexual) treatment of the female body. There is often intertextual reference (to films, TV programmes, other music videos etc.) Whether the video is primarily performance based, narrative based or concept based and how elements of each is used in it.
Song: Fabulous ft. Tamia – Into you I am going to analyse a song called Into you by an artist called Fabulous featuring a singer called Tamia. This video is an example of the Goodwin’s theory. The music video isn’t inspired by my own music video but it contains similar features. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olL_Yxhr8Dk
1. Genre characteristics The characteristics for a R n’ B genre would be Fancy cars and lifestyles; big houses; money; nice location; jewellery etc. This scene shows the artist singing at a beach scene. This nice location suggests the artist has a nice In the opening scene of the video, it shows the artist is in a nice location and has money to afford a yacht. life style and money. Also the singer can be seen in a sexual way as the wind blowing her hair and her legs showing can be seen sexually. This shot as suggests a fancy lifestyle as we see the artist in a big house with a pool, this also shows money. We This mid shot of the artist in jewellery shows he has money, the background shows a nice location which suggests a fancy life style. also see a female getting out of a pool. She is soon in a sexual way as she isn’t wearing much clothing.
2. Relationship between lyric and visuals This isn’t an illustrative video as there is no word on the screen. This is a amplifying video as the lyrics reflect what is being said in the video. “Even though I was somewhat successful” “With you” As he says “with you” the artist is pointing at the camera which could mean he could be talking about anyone; the audience might feel connected. This shot suggests being successful is having a big house and nice cars; audiences might look up and aspire to this. “But ever since, this woman has come to my rescue” “Your a dream come true” In the scene he is telling her to come just as the song says “dream come true” so he suggests she is a dream. Just before this scene he was sitting by himself then as he said “but ever since this woman has come to my rescue” she walks in. This suggests this is the woman he was mentioning.
3. Relationship between music and visuals The music and the visuals go together, the editing goes as the beat comes. There is mostly straight cuts in this video. In the first shot it shows the bridge of the song, there is a change of clothing and location although the theme is still the same; nice location and female seen in a sexual way as she isn’t wearing much clothing. In the second shot we see the artist reaching to close the door. As he closes the door the music stops, this is how we know the video has ended. In the shot we also have an idea that the video is going to end as the singing is getting lower and lower till it stops.
4. Demand of close ups Close ups are important especial with new artist as it shows a connection with the audience and it establishes the artist. Although in some shots the artist isn’t looking at the camera or is wearing sunglasses. This may suggest he is ignoring the audience. Here is close ups of the artist. Most of the video the artist isn’t looking at the video. This may suggest that the girl the he is “into” isn’t on the other side of the screen but is with him there. This may not create a connection with the audience as it may not show interest of them. On the other hand the close ups establishes the artist and allow the audience to recognise him. This close up shot is establishing the girl that the artist is into. We also know this because the second shot shows the artist is talking to the female and says things like “you be relaxing in the benz.” Suggesting he wants to give her a fancy lifestyle. This close up of the female also suggests that she’s ‘showing off’ her beauty, this may make some audiences see her in a sexual way.
4. Demand of close ups Here are some close ups of the singer that is signing the chorus. This close ups establishes the singer as the audience may recognise her in other videos. The close ups also view her in a sexual way. Throughout the video she is dress in bikinis and short dresses. This may show her sexually by men. Also the wind blowing in the hair shows her seductively. Finally the eye contact makes the audience feel connected with the singer. Later on in the video we see the artist making more eye contact to the camera. This may make the audience feel connected to the artist. Also as this is a song about the artist talking about a girl he’s into, the eye contact may make the audience feel closer as they could be the girl the artist is talking about. This also establishes the artist more as we can see him more clearly with the eye contact.
5. Notion of looking and voyeurism Notion of looking in music videos is where for example there may be telescopes or screens within screens or jus people looking within the camera. Voyeurism is a perversion in which a person receives sexual gratification from seeing the genitalia of others or witnessing others sexual behaviour. The notion of looking in the first shot shows the artist and the female looking at each other. This shows that there is some sort of relationship between them, how close they are suggests a more intimate relationship. The second shot of the artist and female, the female is in a towel suggesting she just came out of the shower. After this shot she then takes the towel of and the scene blacks out. This emphasises that they have a intimate relationship. The notion of looking in the second shot is the artist watching TV then focuses of the female as she is staring at him trying to get his attention. In the last scene, shows the female in her towel looking at the camera, this suggests a POV shot of the artist as we saw her looking at him before. This mid shot shows her looking in a seductive way about to take her towel of’ this will allows some audiences mainly men to see her sexually.
6. Intertextual reference This is a shot of the artist and other males gambling. We know this is gambling because there is money and dices on the floor and this is associated with gambling.
7. Performance based, narrative based or concept based? This video is a narrative based video as there is a story to it. It is a fragmented video as there is flashbacks during the video. Here is the start of a flashback, it states the date and location. This may suggest what is was before with the artist and the female or how they met. This scene continues to have a blurred outline to suggest this is a flashback. At the end of the flashback there is then a wipe cut of a female which changes the scene to show the present; how his lifestyle has changed and the relationship between the artist and the female.