Andrew Goodwin identified 7 key ideas that we should look for to identify:<br />Music videos demonstrate genre characteristics (e.g. stage performance in metal video, dance routine for boy/ girl band.)<br />There is a relationship between lyrics and visuals. (Either illustrative, amplifying and contradicting.)<br />There is a relationship between music and visuals. (Either illustrative, amplifying and contradicting.)<br />The demands of the record label will include the need for lots of close ups of the artist and the artist may develop motifs which recur across their work ( a visual style.)<br />There is frequently reference to notion o looking (screens within screen, telescopes, etc. ) and particularly voyeuristic (sexual) treatment of the female body.<br />There is often intertextual reference (to films, TV programmes, other music videos etc.)<br />Whether the video is primarily performance based, narrative based or concept based and how elements of each is used in it.<br />
Song: Kiss With A Fist – Florence And The Machine<br />I am going to analyse a song called Kiss With A Fist by a band called Florence And The Machine. This video is an example of the Goodwin’s theory. The music video has inspired me with my music video as this is within the same genre; so it’s contains similar characteristics.<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmxVCM39j4&ob=av3e<br />
Genre Characteristics<br />The genre characteristics for Indie genre has a huge variety of conventions, the hue can be dark, bright or black and white depending on the tone of the lyrics.<br />Sometimes the artists do not even feature in the music video for their songs. However Indie music videos can be performance based either featuring the entire band, or simply featuring the main vocalist. Narrative music videos in the Indie genre are typically quite arty, and symbolic, rather than spelling out exactly what the lyrics say.<br />As Indie has a variety of conventions, in this music video the hue is bright; this shows that this song is happy and fun. Although the song is about violence, it is portrayed in a positive way; this could be a reason of the flowers in a heart shape.<br />
2. Relationship between lyric and visuals<br />This isn’t an illustrative video as there is no word on the screen. This is a amplifying video as the lyrics reflect what is being said in the video. We will make our music video similar to this video in terms of the relationship between lyric and visuals.<br />“A kick in the teeth” There is a close up of the artist kicking high up. This may be used to emphasis the kick and show how she kicked high up to reach the teeth.<br />“So I sit back and watch the bed burn”<br />The artist is standing in front of the burning bed. This gives us visuals of the burning bed.<br />“Then I set fire to our bed” This shot repeats the burning bed and shows the artist dancing. This shows her joy from setting fire to the bed.<br />“I hit you back” This shot shows the artist punching someone. This POV shot makes us feel part of the video and highlights the punching.<br />
3. Relationship between music and visuals<br />The music and the visuals go together, the editing goes as the beat comes. For example in the first image, it shows a shot of the artist beating up things; as she hits something, it goes with the beat. This shows that the beat from each beat of the song can represent each hit in the fight of the couple. In the second and third image the artist is dancing. As the song got closer to the end, there was more instruments and more beats. When this happened the artist started to dance faster to go in time with the beat.<br />In our music video we will also make sure there is a relationship between music and visuals. Similar to this video we may choose to have faster actions as the beat gets faster or have a change of scenery.<br />
4. Demand of close ups<br />Close ups are important with new artists as it establishes them. The first image is the first shot of the artist. This extreme close up of the artist establishes her and gives a connection with the audience and allows them to also recognise her more with the eye contact. There are many close ups in this video. As this is the artists first music video this is essential to get her face known buy the public. This close up is showing us the guy the artist could be singing about. <br />In our music video we are also going to contain close ups of our band. This is to help establish them as artists and to become more recognised.<br />
5. Notion of looking and voyeurism<br />Notion of looking in music videos is where for example there may be telescopes or screens within screens or jus people looking within the camera. Voyeurism is a perversion in which a person receives sexual gratification from seeing the genitalia of others or witnessing others sexual behaviour. <br />The notion of looking in the first shot shows the artist and the guy looking at each other. This shows that there is a sort of relationship between them. As the artist looks like she is about to hit him suggests she’s angry with him and taking it out on him as he may be the cause of it. How close the are may suggest a once intimate relationship. In the second and third shot, the artist is dancing shaking her hips. This may cause men to see her in a sexually way because as she’s dancing and wearing stockings, you can roughly see her underwear. It is fully shown in the third shot as wind is coming from underneath her. The wind may also make her look more seductive as her hair is blowing and her skirt is going up.<br />Our music video will also contain voyeurism to attract a male audience.<br />
6. Intertextual reference<br />The intertextual reference in this shot is the light. These lights are symbols of China. <br />In our music video we may decide to include intertextual reference although we may not decide to do so, this is so there is a focus of the band.<br />
7. Performance based, narrative based or concept based?<br />This video is a performance based as the artist is performing throughout the whole video. This video can also be seen as concept based as the concept is violence in a relationship.<br />We have decided to have more of a narrative based rather than performance based as performance based will cost more money.<br />
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.