MEMORY BUILDINGDeepak Tewari – Memory TrainerDelhi, 15th September 2012
Contents 1. How to remember names ? 2. How to remember your content of presentations and speeches ? 3. How to remember english words with their meaning & dictionary ?
1. How to remember names ? Most of us are eye minded. We see the face and hear the name. People use the tricks to avoid embarrassment They ask other person to spell their name People like to advantage of first name & surname People try to remember Initials Few interesting facts: Cicero (A Great Leader of Rome) Bell Boy (A waiter in a hotel in South America) Remembering the name of all the team members, soldiers etc. is a characteristics of a Great Manager/Leader.3
1. How to remember names ? Person’s name are most priced possession. We use buddy, old pal, darling, fella, sweet heart to avoid calling people by their name. Why do we forget the names ? we never remembered in it first place. People do not even hear the name in the first place/meeting. Few basic ideas, how to remember names: 1. Be sure that you hear the name in the first place. Get it right. 2. Ask him to repeat in case, you are not sure. 3. Ask the person to spell in case, you are not sure of pronunciation.4
1. How to remember names ? With this, we will able to recognize how certain sounds are spelled for certain nationalities. Few examples: • Italian language has no letter “J”- It is spelled with a “g” • “sh” sound in German name is usually spelled “sch” Basic ideas, continued: 4. After hearing the name, mention a fact(s). 5. Repeat the name of other person as often as possible (note: Don’t keep jabbering) 6. Do use the name when you say good bye or good night (Say Good-Bye Mr. X, I hope we will meet again soon etc.)5
1. How to remember names ? We made the name interesting We act interested Large Part of the memory We Create interest6
2. How to remember your content of presentations and speeches ? Most embarrassing things that can happen to a person is to forget a speech while in front of audience. People usually fear that they will forget the next word. Do not memorize the speech word by word. Use any other word that serves the same purpose. People forget the speech or it’s content because of mental fear. Few basic ideas, how to speeches & presentations: Presentation is all about thought. Build thought for thought. Make list of each idea you want to talk.7
2. How to remember your content of presentations and speeches ? Few basic ideas, continued: First, write out & read the entire speech. List your “KEY WORDS” First thought of the speech ------- One Word Try to do same for every sentence/paragraph Link the key words and throw away the paper For example: Speech on local school problem at a Parent- Teacher association meeting List of Key words might look like this: Crowds, Teachers, Fire, Furniture, Subjects, Playground etc.8
2. How to remember your content of presentations and speeches ? Advantage: Remember the articles- connect key words Speed up your reading Remember Lyrics & Scripts Remember Jokes & Anecdotes – A single key word For effective communication: put the key words at different-2 location of the room/hall “A good storyteller is a person who has a good memory and hopes other people haven’t”9
3. How to remember English words with their meaning & dictionary ? It’s easy to memorize a picture. To remember meaning of any new word, try to find out a closest known & meaningful words. Memory is nothing but connections of new thoughts/information with the thoughts/information which are already stored in the brain. Whatever you read, try to convert that into a picture10
3. How to remember English words with their meaning & dictionary ? 1. Copious 10. Capacious 2. Asinine 11. Acrophobia 3. Burgeon 4. Culinary 5. Acme 6. Ferret 7. Dyspepsia 8. Immutable 9. Maul12
3. How to remember English words with their meaning & dictionary ? 1. Copious - Plentiful 10. Capacious - Large 2. Asinine - Stupid 11. Acrophobia - Fear of Height 3. Burgeon - To Expand 4. Culinary - Pertaining to cooking 5. Acme - Highest Point 6. Ferret - Searching Something 7. Dyspepsia - Indigestion 8. Immutable - Stable 9. Maul - Attack13
3. How to remember English words with their meaning & dictionary ? Advantage: Can help in learning foreign language (with the help of memory link method)14
To Be Continued…..1. How to remember tasks to do ?2. How to remember phone numbers ?3. Link Method of Memory4. Peg Systems of Memory5. How to train your observation ?6. How to remember facts about people ?7. How to remember any other thing ?8. Advance form of How to remember names & faces ?