1. Making Your Strategic Plan Work: A Case Analysis of Indiana State University North Central Association- HLC Conference Chicago, IL April 9 – 12, 2011 Karl E. Burgher, Ph.D., P.E.Special Assistant to the President for Strategic Planning Webster Thompson President
2. Benchmarks – Goal 1
3. Event Management Define the Events and Deliverables – Where do we want to be When? Step 1. We wrote a Work Plan and TaskStream Population Manual ( 25 pages or so … an Excellent Read ) Step 2. Team to Write Work-Plans (Tactical/Operational Plans) that align with the Strategic Plan and Metrics … Step 3. We then use those work plans to populate TaskStream Step 4. Review (Internal) and Audit (External) the “Work” Step 5. Published all Documentation – Work Plans & Status Step 6. April 27th Stakeholders Conference (March 31 – 2011)The Primary Deliverable/Event is the Stakeholders Conference ! ?
4. The TaskStream Manual… Work Plan Development, TaskStream Structure, and Timelines 1.0 Introduction/Purpose This document provides a template for effectively and efficiently utilizing TaskStream as part of the strategic plan implementation. Specifically, it outlines a procedure for developing Initiative and Action work plans; for TaskStream data population, utilization and documentation; for quarterly reporting (including schedules); and for annual reporting, presentation, and conferencing. Its purpose is to allow for consistent across-campus deliverable execution and presentation of initiative (and other) work.
5. Important Realization A comprehensive strategic plan is not about what ishappening in addition to everything else at the University, It is “What Is” Happening !
6. Active Start Management Help teams focus – have sessions … Help folks write their work plans – do not just wait Multiple touches – over-communicate – friend-raising Dollars help tremendously – allocate $$ ! Must know where you are going (Metrics Again) … speak to this often Always speak to the endpoint(s) – us humans need to see the end … Population of TaskStream is one vehicle to get to an endpoint Do what you say you are going to do !! Celebrate along the way – Micro-Deliverables/Micro-Celebrations - Food
7. How did we realize success? Step 3 Strategic Transitioning Managing Celebrating Planning to Working the Work Success
8. Managing the Work& TaskStream Workflow Management & Reporting A Strategic Plan has now been turned into a “Work Plan(s)”.That Work Plan must include budgets, schedules, benchmarks, measures, assessment plans, audit reports, and then is re-worked if necessary. Initiative Success is Good … Benchmark Metric (ISU) Success … Mandatory
9. Resource Docs – For All Teams
10. Total Transparency
11. Typical Work Plan – All Need Work Plans!1. Introduction/Background – What?2. Proposal/Purpose/Justification – Why?3. Work Plan – Action Steps – Process – How?4. Reporting and Deliverable Schedule – When?5. Budget – How Much?6. Stakeholders and Management Plan – Who?7. Outcome Assessment (Metric Based) – How Well? The process of writing about work – also makes for better work.
12. Work Plans in TaskStream (Initiative Level)
13. Work Plan Statuses
14. Our Review, Auditing and Report-Out Process Initiative chair submits work to goal chair for review Goal chair approves (or sends back for revision) - repeat Strategic Planning office prints approved work Audit team reviews printed reports – iterate … Goal / Audit Chair Report Out Annual Stakeholder Conference Stakeholder Commenting !
15. Auditing Results and Conferences Docs at GoalLevel
16. How did we realize success? Step 4 Strategic Transitioning Managing Celebrating Planning to Working the Work Success Time to Celebrate! Conference Party
17. In Summary - Work Perspective 300+ Actions (separable work plans) created in a hosted solution Executive Summaries of Goal Reviews and External Audits All Budgets and Conference Power Points at hand Supplemental documentation Each with FY ’10 work status and FY ’11 first quarter status 7 books – Published Work Plans for all Initiatives/Actions & Tasks We created a definable, transparent process for writing about work, doing work, tracking work, measuring work, reviewingwork, externally auditing work, and publishing the results of the work uniformly – using common project management terms and processes with robust metrics.
18. Success Snapshot – Again Enrollment up 1000 students to 11,500 - Freshman Class by 30% Contract and Grant Awards are up 20% Regional and National Awards to faculty and staff are up Community Engagement – Terre Haute Community of the Year Enhanced Infrastructure Work – 10 Constructions Projects Alumni Participation and Capital Campaign - $85,000,000 $3,000,000 allocated to Strategic Plan to date - up to $10,000,000 by ’14 $5,000,000 reallocated for Programs of Distinction FY 11 ($25 M Total) Extensive Co-Curricular Record (transcript) project underway One Stop Shop Opened – Sycamore Express It is simple. It is complex (management challenge) Know your work – Do your work – Adjust – Be successful
19. More University Progress … Parents and Family Initiative, New Web Site, New Programs Alumni in Indy Initiative Student Success – Map-Works, Early Alerts Systems, and Assessment Opportunity Hire Project – Minority Recruitment Freshman Faculty Program – 10 work plans … Day Care Feasibility (finally – 10 yrs) Numerous New Degree Programs, BS, MS, & PhD Distance Ed – New Dean of Continuing Ed … Foundational Studies Update Capital Campaign – Coming to a close … to then open another … Alumni Center – New Downtown Book Store – Alumni/Foundation Offices Riverscape Development – 93 miles, 2000 acres, + Environmental Center Master Facilities Plan The Planning and the Working …. Works. TaskStream helped us know where we were all the time.
20. ? Football: From: 1~30 – 3 yrs To: 7-5 – 2nd place Knowing where you are going with robust metric development helps all move forward.Karl.Burgher@indstate.edu - 812-237-8449 TaskStream - firstname.lastname@example.org